Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer lovin'.

You've probably noticed I've been a bit scarce lately.

No?

Um, okay. That's kind of sad. But hey, it's fair. I've been a pretty pathetic excuse for a blogger and blog commenter. I'm sorry. I love you. And I read your blogs even when I don't comment. Promise, I do. You're all so clever and crafty and devoted to your passions. And your kids remain very cute. So, keep up the good work. And I'll try to do better with the commenting.

Anyway, for the past few weeks while I've not been blogging, I've been living. Outside, mostly. Spending time with my family. Working in my yard. Going to the farmer's market. Playing in the sprinkler. Soaking up these blissful early summer days of 75-degree weather and low to no humidity.

Heaven, really.

We've been to the zoo. And the park. And Minnehaha Falls. We've sat on a number of patios for dinner, ours included. I baked an incredible blueberry peach pie, of which I only captured a before photo (dumb). We've planted lots of flowers and Nate's coaxed grass to grow in impossible places.

I am happy. And thankful — for our sweet little house and healthy little family and all kinds of culinary goodness like orzo/tomato/dill salad and hot dogs and caprese salad and Byerly's steak kebabs and cheddar and sour cream potato chips and grilled vegetables and my pie and other things I wish I could eat every single day of the year.

Is it obvious that summer = food in my mind?

And now, a random mishmosh of outdoor photos — some with captions, some without.







The picture below was my attempt at capturing the line for dinner at Sea Salt last weekend. All I could get was the back third of the outdoor line. So, triple that line and then add in the line of people inside the restaurant. I am so glad we got there when we did (in the first third of the outdoor line). Our wait was only an hour (plus another hour for our food to come). Sounds crazy, but there's no better way to spend a Saturday night. Or $30. Dang, that food is amazing.






Here is my pie. Unbaked. Amazing, huh? I was impressed. Just imagine this all golden, crisp, and bubbly with lots of blueberry goodness leaking out the top.




This poor quality photo of Calvin was included solely to showcase his mad head of curls post-bath. They are so awesome, but as soon as he wakes up in the morning his hair is back to stick straight. Unfortunate. I was hoping the McLaughlin 'fro would live on.






7 comments:

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

I love it! Looks and sounds like a perfect summer. That video is both precious and hilarious!

Kate said...

Don't give up on the curls. My little brother had straight blond hair until junior high and then puberty hit and it transformed into a brown curly 'fro. True story.

Katie said...

Looks heavenly. Y'all deserve that beautiful weather after it was snowing up until May. :)

the deKorne family said...

impressed on the pie, so cute about outside, wish i could eat at that restaurant. and don't give up on the fro. who knows what the future will hold. love you.

The Moser Fam... said...

looks heavenly and feels alot like our summer so far...your pie looks amazing...and i love the picture of you and cal where you are in the grass...hugs!

Matt and Abby said...

Love all the random and sweet pictures. Hey, maybe his hair will end up curly.
Glad you are enjoying the sunshine!

Karen Mayes said...

You just described all of my favorite summer activities! I love the picture of Calvin and the dog drinking water from the sprinker. Cute family!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design