Monday, April 20, 2009

Seven Pounds.

Pop quiz. Is Seven Pounds:

1) The title of a recently released Will Smith movie?
2) The size of my unborn child, who is measuring nearly two pounds ahead of schedule?

The answer, my friends, is yes.

I went to the doctor on Friday for the first of my now weekly appointments. My blood pressure has been giving me some trouble, so in an effort to avoid bed rest, I've been scheduled for weekly OB appointments, ultrasounds, and non-stress tests. My appointment with the doctor was fine; however she measured my fundus (stomach) and started laughing. Evidently I was measuring "quite large." I asked how big a baby is supposed to be at 35 weeks, and she said between 4.75 and 5.25 pounds. So I figured "quite large" meant maybe six pounds? Big, but manageable.

On to the ultrasound, where the tech said "please don't panic" before telling me that my baby is currently measuring at a whopping 7lbs. She tried to comfort me by saying that it's not unheard of — why just earlier in the week she had a patient who measured almost six and a half pounds! (Gee, thanks.) She estimates that my baby will weigh in around 10lbs at birth. You know, give or take. (Please, please let it be take...)

While that news was fairly traumatizing, what really got to me were the ultrasound photos. He looks...huge. In some of the pictures, his cheeks were so chubby they were hanging over the sides of his mouth — kind of like someone you'd expect to see on a TLC show called "The World's Heaviest Man" or on MTV's "True Life: I Weigh Two Tons."

All I could think was - my sweet baby boy looks like the Two-Ton Man? What did I do to make him like this? I really could not see any other explanation except complete failure as a mother. Which of course led to tears. Lots of them. In fact, I was pretty much inconsolable for the remainder of the evening.

But after a good night's sleep (crying makes me really tired) and another look at those photos (yep, still chubby), I got over it (kind of). So what if my kid is huge? He's coming out one way or another...his projected size just confirms my absolute need for drugs during labor. And if his cheeks really are that big (they very well might be, mine certainly aren't small), he will still be cute to me and I will love his sweet face forever.

Still, I am now begging God for an early delivery. Nate finishes the semester on May 11, so I'm shooting for any time that week. Hopefully that'll shave a pound off...

C'mon baby!

6 comments:

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Big cheeks = cute baby :-) I'll be praying for an early delivery!! Hang in there!

The Moser Fam... said...

You make me laugh. He will be perfect!! You are absolutely right...he will come out one way or another! :) Now please post a picture of you and your 7 pounder! Love you!

Chris Barrington Davis said...

4 weeks before Walker was due I measured 'big.' They told me he was weighing in at 8lbs, 11oz.
3 weeks later I had a scheduled c-section. He was a glorious 9lbs, 5oz, most of what seemed to be chubby cheeks and roly-poly thighs! He was utter perfection. Your little lamb will be, too. Believe it!
Fingers crossed for a speedy delivery, sister! Love you!

Katie said...

He will be perfect! I had a couple of big babies (well, 9 pounds--not 10), and let me tell you, bigger babies are the best!! Seriously.

Anonymous said...

He is going to be perfect!! I will pray for an easy and hopefully early delivery! :)

Angela said...

Oh Honey, I just had a 10lb baby and let me tell you how cute those cheeks are gonna be when you see them for real. Most of it will probably be water weight and the baby will loose the chunks after a few days. It will then be the most beautiful and healthy baby you have ever seen. Plus big babies seem just a little less fragile. And trust me, with a curious and nosy dog around, the baby just might need that extra cushion. You both will do great...all my prayers!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design