Saturday, May 23, 2009

I have ankles!

That's the phrase I've been uttering over and over again the past three days. Seriously, I have never been so excited about weight loss in a random part of my body. After months of walking around on puffy, swollen cankles, my now normal-sized ankles seem ridiculously skinny and wonderful. It really doesn't take much to delight me in my new role as an exhausted mother.

I'm not going to lie: it's been a rough week. And an enlightening one. I had no idea what having a baby was going to entail. Never mind the whole labor and delivery part — that was a piece of cake, in hindsight. No amount of warning from books and friends could have given me a realistic sense of how tired I'd be, how often I'd break down sobbing over nothing, and how frustrating it can be to get a baby to just latch on already.

Luckily, babies are cute. This was a strategic move on the part of someone, because every time I start to think it might be okay if the past week never happened, this squishy-faced little angel of mine looks up at me with his big blue (ish) eyes and I can't think of anything I'd rather do than be his mom. He's amazing, and Nate and I are so thankful to be his parents.

Here are some pictures from his first week with us. More to follow soon!





7 comments:

the deKorne family said...

he is beautifuL!!! love you baby calvin!

Abby said...

Abby, he's adorable! Congratulations!! And don't you feel so proud of having delivered such a big guy?! Maguire was 9lbs 7oz and I'm pretty proud of that accomplishment ;) WTG on getting 6 hours of sleep from Calvin--that's awesome!!!

The Moser Fam... said...

He is seriously beautiful. I love the one of you holding him. He's got cute little lips. I can't wait to meet him and hold him! Love!

Samantha said...

If that isn't a picture of perfect, then I don't know what is. You are right on about someone strategically planning the cuteness. It really gets you through the worst of it. Love you guys. Thinking of you often!

by Beth said...

what a great way to say it. i could never quite put it into words myself but i felt exactly the same way the first week.

he is GORGEOUS! so happy for you!

~Beth

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Congrats to you & Nate!! Just got back in town and catching up on your blog!! He's beautiful!!

AbbyD said...

Yay for ankles!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design