Monday, February 14, 2011

Card-carrying members of the NRA.



As if. The only thing that we might belong to that has those initials is the National Restaurant Association, which I just made up. But we could totally pass for NRA members, couldn't we? Look at Nate's squint! Look at me coolly blowing on my freshly-fired gun!

Nerds.

On Saturday night, we went out with our good friends Scott and Brenna. Nate's mom and dad took Calvin overnight, the Vuongs worked miracles to secure a last-minute babysitter, and the four of us had a double date. Over dinner, Brenna asked if we had any romantic Valentine's Day plans. To which Nate replied "Why, yes! We're going out to dinner with our friends Scott and Brenna and then going bowling. How about you?"

We've never been big on Valentine's Day at our house. Except for the first year we were dating, when Nate made me a fancy dinner and HUNG FLOWERS FROM THE CEILING. It can only go downhill from there, right? Besides, I prefer to show my love to my husband every day. But there will, of course, be flowers waiting for me when I get home. And yes, that is a statement, not a question. And also a bit of a threat.

So, our uber romantic Valentine's Day date consisted of stuffing ourselves to the gills with steak and crab, a million rounds of skeeball, and bowling. Turns out Nate and I suck at bowling. I didn't think I sucked, but I do. Especially next to Brenna, who is like Mrs. Bowling Minnesota or something. It's so hard to have friends who are cooler than you. Unfortunately like 99.5% of mine are. Which isn't saying much — I'm some kind of dork (did you read that first paragraph?).

Scott was never quite able to cut the string in the game with a dangling Nintendo DS despite a solid $15 worth of effort, and by the end of the night I was on a first-name basis with the teenager working the arcade ticket counter because this 31-year-old woman is too, uh, special to use the newfangled coin card technology. But Brenna beat Scott at bowling and won the right to sleep in yesterday, and Nate redeemed himself by bowling a turkey, so I'd call the night a success. And Calvin is now the proud new owner of a foam football, some girly stickers, a plastic dinosaur, and some other weird crap we were able to trade for our 350 tickets.

That's right, 350 tickets.

We may suck at bowling, but we are AWESOME at picking easy games that give you lots of tickets. Breyers FTW!






5 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Hey...at least you two went on a date of some sort! :) We are doing NOTHING. I love the last picture of you two. Hugs!

the deKorne family said...

So cute! Sounds like the perfect Valentine's Day. Glad you had a fun night out-and we should bowl together. I'm pretty sure you would beat me. And you're the furthest thing from a dork. Love you both!

Unknown said...

I am jealous of your date night! Sounds like fun was had by all.

April Gann said...

Oddly, I kind of think I already knew you sucked at bowling. Even if you didn't. :) That night looks awesome! Nothing is more romantic than a shared goal- like TICKETS!!! Love you.

Vuong Family said...

All we have to show for the evening is a lost harmonica and a suction circle on our window... though I did thoroughly enjoy sleeping in till a whopping 8:30 as I woke to my 3 year old vomiting. Aren't I supposed to be the one puking after a night out?? Seriously!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design