Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thankful for Thursday [Crabby Abby Edition]

I'm cranky today. My toddler is driving me bananas. It's freezing cold outside, again. I was late for work because I forgot something at home. I'm hungry.

For all those reasons, I am going to force myself to sit down and write a Thankful for Thursday post. I don't know why, really. Something about being thankful even when you don't feel like it blah blah better person blah. Whatever. I'm just going to do it.

1. Clinique Touch Base for Eyes in Petal Shimmer. You guys, I have eyelid wrinkles. This is a fairly recent development, and I just have to say I expected a bit more time on the whole aging/falling face thing. Feels like I'm really starting to look my age, which is just shy of 32. I should not have eyelid wrinkles or fine lines in my early 30s! (Kids, wash your face and wear sunscreen.) And recently I noticed I was getting that gross eye shadow crease in my eye, where all the color bunches in one wrinkly line by the end of the day. I used to use eyeshadow primer all the time but once I had Calvin spending $15 on primer just didn't seem worth the trip to the mall or the cost. But as soon as I noticed the gross eyeshadow crease I hightailed it to the mall and let me tell you — it's worth the trip and the money. Also worth the money: eye cream. Buy it while you're still young and use it. Use the heck out of it. It's too late for me, but it may not be for you.

2. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Oh, dear sweet Mickey. Where would I be without you? Probably even further into crazy town. I love you. Thanks also go to Comcast for offering MMC on demand. Bless you, large corporate conglomerate. I don't care if you are ridiculously overpriced and our only cable option. As long as you continue providing me with a few precious moments of peace after work everyday, I will gladly continue writing you obscenely large checks every month.

3. Reruns of How I Met Your Mother. For the past 5+ years, I have watched Friends reruns every. single. night. before bed. It's the comfort food of television for me. I watch plenty of primetime sitcoms, but all of them lack the familiarity and lovable goofiness of Friends. But, back when I was on maternity leave, I started watching How I Met Your Mother through Netflix. I think I watched all four seasons in about two weeks. I love it. And now it's on Lifetime every. single. night. at the same time as Friends. Which is actually perfect, because now if an icky Friends episode is on (like the one where Ross and Rachel are on a break and he sleeps with Chloe the copy shop girl), I have an alternative. Whereas my only previous alternative was the news. Sadly, I would absolutely choose Ross and Rachel on a break over the news. And I really hate that episode.

4. 98% fat-free hot dogs, Laughing Cow cheese wedges, fruit, and Weight Watchers ice cream sandwiches. Without which, I would be five pounds heavier today. Oh, and a special shout-out to the mega water bottle/straw cup thingy I got from the hospital when I had Calvin. That thing has been getting some serious use the last week and a half. And some interesting comments from passersby at work. I guess it's kind of weird to have a large cup that says "MATERNITY CARE" on the side at work, huh? It's hard to know what's appropriate when you grew up in a household where all the pens, pads of paper, and staplers said things like "Cymbalta" and "Ortho Tri Cylen" on them.

5. Dog Days are Over by Florence + The Machine. I totally love this song. Sometimes I play it on repeat at work because it makes me super productive. And because I not-so-secretly hope to annoy my coworkers.

6. Goodwill. Am I the only mom who makes a decent living but still gets great pleasure out of dressing her child in clothes from Goodwill? I've started scouting it out a few times a month because I get the coolest stuff there, including really great deals on barely-worn brand name clothes for Calvin. (Half-price Toddler Thursdays, y'all!) I love it. In fact, I think I might have to dedicate an entire post to my Goodwill finds sometime soon...

7. A new job! Nate has a new job and I can finally post it because he gave his notice at the hospital yesterday! It's been a long road, but God has been good to us and Nate was offered a nursing job at the hospital where he wants to work (right near our house in downtown St. Paul), on the floor where he wants to work (Med/Surg), and in a shift that is flexible and will work for our family (day/evening rotating). I am so proud of him and so grateful for God's provision and faithfulness these last few years. Also thankful for the truckload of vacation time Nate gets to cash out from his current employer, which leads us to Thankful for Thursday item number 8:

8. The adorable and quite cheerful red pedestal table in my living room. :) (You had to know if I was obsessed enough to post it on the blog I was obsessed enough to buy it, right? Nate sure did...) It wasn't in the budget when I posted it, but we made the decision to set aside money for it this month and then the buying process sped up significantly with the news of Nate's new job. Good thing, too, because there really were limited quantities. I LOVE it. Although it does make our couches look a little tired and now I need new artwork and pillows...

9. Snuggle time with my cute little boy this morning. Cal's started saying "No no no Mama!" and waving me away every time I get near him, so it was kind of nice to hear his cries for me this morning. Even if it was at 5:15am.

10) An upcoming date night with my valentine, thanks to my kind in-laws.

Okay, I feel better. :)

Happy Thursday!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I would be totally lost without it. We don't have cable or satelite anymore, so I also thank them for posting new episodes online and selling the MickeyMote and DVD's with episodes.
Congrats to Nate on his new job! That is awesome.

the deKorne family said...

way to go being all positive. :) love all those things, too-although I'm more of a MAC paint girl than clinique touchbase. i support your decision though. :) so thankful about the job and the table! yippeee!

Emily said...

It's amazing how counting our blessings can make us feel better, right? So happy to hear about Nate's new job!! :)

(And I'm an avid Goodwill shopper too. I just love getting awesome deals though.)

April Gann said...

Very glad we got a thankful for Thursday. Love the list. Can we have a discussion about touchbase vs. mac paints? I'm running out of paints and you've almost convinced me to switch...

Katie said...

That's awesome about Nate's job. And please don't say you hate the Ross "PI-VOT" episode when they're moving furniture. hahahahahaha. I love that one. Sucks about the aging. The last few months have brought me my first gray hairs, serious bags under my eyes, and saggy eyes. :( I'm with you. I love your blog. :)

The Moser Fam... said...

i thought i commented on this...sorry you are crabby...but it makes for a good blog title! i have no idea what the heck this "paint" stuff is you all are talking about....i need to get with the makeup program! love you.

Kate said...

#5 - heck yes. May I ask? Did you download it immediately after the Glee episode? Cause I did and I love love love it too. Crank it up ;)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design