Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Playing catch up.

I have so much catching up to do. Christmas, our families meeting Audra, a bunch of random cute pictures of my kids...but, yeah. I'm tired. So instead I'm going to ramble at you for a bit. Sound good?

Thanks.

1. C-sections are weird. Last time I showed up to the hospital prepared for a day's worth of labor pain and vaginal trauma and heaven only knows what else. This time I showed up, put on a gown, got an IV, had a shot in my back, and let a doctor take a baby out of me. It took less than two hours. WEIRD. Although, if I'm being really honest, I kind of preferred it. Pushing a baby out is hard work and I'm lazy.

Well — not so lazy that I'd elect to have a c-section for no reason, but it certainly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

2. Remember my baby naming diatribe? And my whole "it must be easy to say and spell" thing? Well, that one's come back to bite me in the rear. I had NO IDEA people wouldn't know how to pronounce Audra. I'm not really sure how else you would pronounce it (Really, I don't know. Please enlighten me if you can think of an alternate pronunciation), but I kid you not - I've had like 15 people ask me how to say it. And a handful more ask how to spell it. And a random rude guy on Facebook tell a friend of mine who posted a congratulatory message on her wall that I am only thinking of myself in giving my daughter a "unique" name like that.

I replied that I would be happy to name the next one Mike after him, and he liked my comment. At least he has a sense of humor. I guess.

3. Just to be clear, there won't be a next one. This factory is closed for business.

I think.

Pretty sure.

Almost positive.

4. I order diapers through the Subscribe and Save program from Amazon Mom because of the 20% discount. Since Calvin was a massive beast and never fit into newborn diapers, I just went ahead and set up a recurring order of size 1s. Of which I've received two boxes of 270 diapers. Of which I've used none because Audra is a peanut. So far we've used up all the newborn diapers from the hospital, as well as the two new boxes I sent Nate out to purchase. This smallness is so new to me. As is the amount of poop this child generates.

5. Other things that are new to me this time around: not cleaning a penis during diaper changes. Pink clothing. Newborn-sized pink clothing. Nursing 24 hours a day because my child has an insatiable appetite. A two-week-old who sleeps 9p-7a and only gets up 2x to eat in between (I fear this is too good to be true, but we've had like five days in a row of this schedule and I am loving it). Washing a tiny head of dark hair. Feeling totally relaxed about having a new baby.

6. Seriously, baby number two is way easier than baby number one. Not only because Calvin came out shrieking and demanding things and Audra is content to sit and snuggle (or eat) for hours, but because I am just way more comfortable in my role as a mom. Even though having two kids is a lot more work, the work is not quite as stressful. I'm glad. I was kind of worried.

7. In the interest of full disclosure, it probably helps that Calvin is going to school full-time and Nate's been off work for the last two weeks. I may be singing a different tune come next weekend when Nate's working and I'm home alone with a rowdy two-year-old and a needy three-week-old.

And now, since you've been so good about about letting me ramble, I will reward you with a few pictures of my sweet-as-pie daughter. She's really cute. Or as Cal would say "She's super cute and super tiny!"







8 comments:

Jaime Olson said...

Oh, Abby! I loved this post. Seriously, how ELSE could someone pronounce Audra? That's mind-boggling... but so was "Calvan." I think you and Nate share many of our rules about choosing names and put tons of effort and thought and time into both of your cuties. People are jerks.
She is a peanut and she is gorgeous. I'm so glad you are enjoying the "whoa, I'm more relaxed this time!" vibe of your second go at this. I was totally shocked when that happened to me but it was such a gift.
You are doing GREAT!

Katie said...

My jaw is on the floor. Really it is. People slay me. She's adorable, and looks like such a big girl in her jumpsuit and socks. (I have a neighbor named Audra--she's super sweet. :))Let's talk this time next year. Maybe you'll be ready for a tie-breaker.

mcmuff said...

Beautiful children, like their parents...

Unknown said...

I have no idea how you could mispronounce Audra.
Love your little peanut! She's adorable. :)

Mary said...

OMG, love hearing your accounts on the differences between the kids! I can't wait to go out and buy pink stuff now!!!! Ah!

the deKorne family said...

YUM! Especially like the last one-she looks so much like Cal!!! Yay for a blog post. :)

Trish said...

She's beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

aw Abby! I just want to squeeze her! She is a peanut, a beautiful little peanut!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design