Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Shower the people you love with love.

I posted this on Instagram last Friday night, and got some interesting responses.




Just to be perfectly clear: I'm not pregnant. But my sister-in-law is, and Nate and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our first nephew. Figured we may as well throw his mama a shower while we wait for his cute little face to show up.

I've decided throwing parties is similar to having kids, in that it seems like a really good idea until you go into labor. You kinda forget about the work. But then you do the work and the result is spectacular and you're like "I totally want to do that again!" even though you're hemorrhaging/staring at a mountain of dirty dishes.

Anyway, once I got through the shower labor (i.e. cleaning my house with two kids and a dog underfoot...oh, and did I mention I was in the middle of tagging all of my children's clothes and toys for a consignment sale at the same time? For the last two weeks my dining room has looked like a combination of the sorting counter at Once Upon a Child and the floor of a preschool classroom), it was so much fun. My dear friend Julie co-hosted and my mother-in-law and sweet friend Lisa helped, too, so I had very little to do with the food prep. Which is good, since we probably would have ended up eating a giant baby shower sub. Although my new-found mantra of "purchase all party food" did result in a pretty amazing order of mini s'mores cupcakes from Taste of Love bakery.

Since we all know parties require a theme these days, Jules and I decided on a woodland baby shower. But a slightly vintage one, because this is an Abby event and you know how I love a good Mason jar. Thanks to Julie's excellent collection of canning jars and vintage luncheon plates (complete with a spot to ash your cigarette!) and my extensive trolling of the Goodwill figurine shelves, we ended up with a sweet little party perfect for Mary and her baby boy.
 Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower

Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
I mean, seriously. Look at those figurines. Ugly in grandma's living room, but adorbs here.
 Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower

Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
Have you ever seen a prettier vegetable presentation? All Julie.Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
 Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower

Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
 In deep love with my chalkboard.
Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower

Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower

 Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower

 If you think Vistaprint is only for people who want 100 free ugly business cards, you're wrong. They have cute and very inexpensive invitations. You may have to dig a bit to get past the 90s designs, but they're there. This one had a super cute back side, too.
Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
 Nate's mom made her famous granola as favors. I cut pictures out of a Peter Rabbit treasury I got at Goodwill and tied them onto jelly jars. Fabric on top was leftover from Audra's embroidery hoops.
Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower

Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
 Calvin and Nate went on a nature walk to collect branches for me, then I cut out those little leaves from paper leftover from my wedding. All about the recycling. And the hoarding, apparently, since I still have paper from my wedding.
Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
 Cute mama-to-be with the beautiful quilt our mother-in-law made for baby Breyer. My kids each have one, too. They are so special!
Home Sweet Home | Woodland Baby Shower
 Julie, Mary, Me. B&W because we all look tired in color.

Loved showering sweet Mary with some love before she meets her little guy. She's worth the work. :)

3 comments:

Matt and Abby said...

"Because we all look tired in color". HA HA!!!!! Super adorable party!!!!!

Samantha said...

I would have loved that announcement had it been one!

Mr and Mrs Breyer said...

Thanks for such a cute shower!! It was so fun and beautiful!!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design