Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A practical purchase.

My friend Jo and I went shoe shopping on Sunday. She's been on maternity leave for 10 weeks and is going a little stir crazy, so we escaped for a few hours of fun. After a quick lunch at Panera, we headed over to DSW.

I love shoes.

There were at least 15 pairs of shoes calling my name. Loudly. Most were high heels or wedges in hot pink, banana yellow, grass green or royal blue — or some combination of those colors. I am loving the bright 80s color palette right now. I know it won't last (and really shouldn't), but I think it's cheerful and fun for summer. It's also kind of great to see things I wore as a kid back in style. (Although I did see 10 different pairs of jelly shoes. Yuck. Some trends are best left in their decade of origin.)

Despite my excitement over the huge selection of brilliantly colored shoes, I'm trying to be a little more responsible about money. I can't just buy any shoe that catches my eye — it has to be something I will wear. I already have too many pairs of extremely cute, extremely unwearable shoes in my closet. (Hello sky-high pink floral canvas stacked heel ankle strap Nine West shoes I've owned for 7 years and still haven't worn.)

So after nearly an hour of shopping, I ended up with two pairs of shoes any grandmother would be proud to own: black flats and brown flats.

Woo hoo.

Yes, they are cute. And comfortable. And versatile. And reasonably priced. But they are also black and brown. Sigh. While perfect for casual days at work, neither pair is a good fit for my 80s revival. So, I think I will have to hit up a few of my favorite discount retailers (Target, Payless, TJ Maxx) to see if I can find cheap, chic 80s shoes to rock all summer and discard this fall. After all, fashion this rad can't last long. I'll probably be in the market for Doc Martens and flannel shirts come spring 2009.


Dollhouse Prima Ballet Flat
Palladium Palau




4 comments:

DeKorne Family said...

as a proud owner of hot pink wedges, patent no less, i support your level headedness...but as an increasingly large woman trying to make maternity clothes look cool, i'm going to stick with obnoxious colors on the one part of my body that is still normal sized. :)

The Moser Fam... said...

you're funny....and entertaining! i really like both pairs of shoes you purchased. you know that you are being too practical when I, ms. practical, would buy them. now..the hot pink wedge or other 80's color shoes that you guys are talking about...i'm sure i would love to look at them and try them on, but let's face it....i would never be able to go through with the purchase! :) i really wish i was more daring...could you and heidi come help me be cool? :)

Nikki said...

I have a pair of bright red patent leather Steve Madden flats that I LOVE. You can't wear crazy shoes too often, but they are fun and unexpected. Go for it...Payless is great and Target's shoe offerings are also improving.

Abby said...

While I'm not typically a big fan of flats (I mean, why SHOULD my feet not hurt all in the name of fashion?!), I love those brown ones! The black are cute, too, but the brown ones could possibly convert me...

Heidi is NOT big, so whatever to that. And yeah, I can't picture Ali wearing obnoxiously colored heels. But she is COOL without them!! ;)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design