Thursday, September 17, 2009

Drop the Barbie.

While most people relate just about any situation in life to an episode of Seinfeld, I do the same with Friends. I've seen them all, I know them all by heart.

While I was in IL visiting my parents, my mom pulled out this little Beanie Baby-style teddy bear for Calvin to play with. It's the girliest thing ever — a bright pink swimsuit, a cluster of flowers on her ear, a pink and yellow beach ball, and huge platform sandals. I started laughing and asked if there was maybe a boy bear for him to play with. There was, and we gave him both.

He LOVES the girly bear, and wants nothing to do with the boy bear. He cuddles with her all the time...it's the first stuffed toy he's latched on to, and we've tried a few. I'm beginning to think this little lady might become his security blanket. Or his first girlfriend.

This reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross' ex-wife and her lesbian partner let his son, Ben, pick out a toy from the toy store — and he chooses a Barbie with a "kicky beret." Ross totally freaks out and, during his weekend with Ben, attempts to swap it for a G.I. Joe:



While I'm sure Nate has considered purchasing Calvin a G.I. Joe (or whatever the baby equivalent might be), for now we're just giggling at our cute little boy and his pretty pink friend. Worst case scenario, he'll turn out like my brother, who, when forced to play Barbies with his two sisters, dressed them up like hookers.

For future reference: Canadian Mountie Barbie's tall boots + Barbie and the Rockers' white "leather" miniskirt = hot stuff.

3 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Aww...Cal's first girlfriend! :) He is SO adorable. This reminds me of the time when Ben was at the dentist and got to pick a toy from the treasure chest for being good during his check-up. He chose a fairy princess wand and a Tinkerbell sticker. Mike was appalled that I let him choose such a girly prize. :) Anyway, I love your little man and I'm sure he will be doing all kinds of manly things soon...like running over his girly beanie baby with a monster truck or something. Love you!

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

He's so cute it doesn't matter what he plays with! Uhh, that didn't come out quite right... you know what I meant!!

Susie said...

This is funny! Sy loves Taly's minnie mouse way more than his mickey. We've embraced it. People thinks it diminishes whatever masculinity a small child is supposed to have.... I think it shows early signs of macho heterosexuality :)

Calvin's adorable!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design