Monday, March 1, 2010

Copay.














Most years I have a hard time using up the money in my health savings account. This year we've already used it all up, and it's only March 1.

Three weeks ago, Nate went to the doctor on a Friday afternoon with back pain, was told it was muscular, and was sent home with a mild muscle relaxer. By Saturday night he was in severe pain and unable to get up. We took him to the ER at 5am on Sunday morning where he was diagnosed with a bulging disk and sciatica. He was pumped full of morphine and sent home with muscle relaxers, steroids, and pain pills.

That same weekend, Calvin and I both came down with colds. After a week of dealing with constant snot flow and a very irritable baby, we took Calvin to the doctor. She said he was fine, just teething and crabby from the cold. He seemed to get better, but then this weekend he came down with a cough, and yesterday he woke up with a very high fever and was wheezing. So again, we headed for the ER at 5am on a Sunday morning. He has a sinus infection, which antibiotics have helped greatly in the last 24 hours. And he finally cut that tooth this morning, thank heavens. Poor baby was so sick, but so sweet in his little hospital gown. The nurse said he was her first patient in a 12-hour shift, and she was certain he'd be her cutest patient all day. :)

I've been sick off and on since I had The Swine in October. I get better, I get worse. I got much worse this weekend, and ended up going to urgent care yesterday after Nate convinced me I might have pneumonia. The doctor took one quick listen to my lungs and thought the same. Two chest x-rays later, I was diagnosed with a sinus infection, a respiratory infection, and asthma. (ASTHMA? I'm almost 31! I thought that was a diagnosis most people got in elementary school.) So now I'm on antibiotics and steroids, and have my very first inhaler.

So...yeah. Good times at the Breyer household. Here's hoping that two visits to the emergency room, two visits to the doctor, a trip to urgent care, and seven prescriptions are all it takes for us to be a healthy family again.

9 comments:

the deKorne family said...

Oh poor Breyers. Sorry for the snot and backs and copays and stuff. But you are sure cute sick people! That purple gown is ridiculously cute!

Trish said...

He's so cute in that gown - so sad, but so cute. We blew threw our HSA by the end of February with all of our sinus, allergies, blah blah blah so we feel your pain... literally! Hope you're all feeling back to normal very soon!

The Moser Fam... said...

Aww! I'm so sorry you all are so sick! I'm glad you're all drugged up now and on the mend though. Isn't it awful to see your babe in the hospital..even if only briefly!? He looks adorable in purple though! Love you...

Jaime Olson said...

Oh, Abs, I'm so sorry. You guys are rockstars for even being able to talk about such lengthy trauma, much less endure it! I have sincere hope that you are all on the mend - sick babies are so hard but sick babies plus sick parents are just impossible!

Katie said...

So sorry for all the sickness! Poor Breyers. That's the pits. Has Nate ever tried a chiropractor? When he's on the mend, I'd recommend finding a good one. They work wonders. (I resisted after years of back pain after a wreck. I had constant headaches and sciatica, and now sing the praises of my chiropractor for helping with all of that.)Just a thought. Hope y'all feel better soon!

Samantha said...

Abby if its any consolation I've gone through half of mine, and I had the same amount taken out this year as I did when I knew I was going to have a baby to pay for. So let's see, that comes to about $750 since January 1st. This is a bad year I've been told over and over by our nurse. So fingers crossed next year is better!

Muff McLaughlin said...

Leave it to Calvin to smile when he's sick. Wish I could've come to help. He looks adorable in that little gown! Glad you're on the mend. Love you all...

Sarah said...

Oh that little gown is too much! Hope you all are beginning to feel better...here's to your health -- and to a VERY cute little guy!

The Moser Fam... said...

I need another post from the Breyer household! I hope you had a FABULOUS b-day today, Abs! LOVE YOU! :)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design