Monday, March 29, 2010

I have a boy.

I always thought I'd have a little girl. I'm a girl, I like girly things, so I figured of course I will have a little girl! She will love pedicures and Sleepless in Seattle and Banana Republic sales and we will be girly together always!

But, I have a boy.

Sometimes I look at him and I just can't believe he's mine. I think this often, actually, and usually in a "this kid is amazing and incredible and I just can't believe he's mine!" way. But occasionally I look at him in all his boyness and also think "this child is covered in dirt and grunts when he poops and I just can't believe he's mine..." And then I think about how I have no idea how to raise one of these (Boys, not children. Okay, children in general. But especially boy children.), and I figure he's pretty much screwed with me as a mother because all I'm going to want to do with him is shop and go out to eat.

But maybe I'm underestimating myself. I held a snake (once) and dissecting frogs was my favorite part of junior high science. Dirt is fine with me — I spend every spring on my hands and knees digging in it, and I've gotten used to my dog tracking it in and around my house. I hate sports of every kind, but I can almost sort of throw a football (depending on the wind), and I survived being the only girl on my park district soccer team despite totally screwing things up the one time they set me up to score a goal. I've somehow managed to sit through Die Hard, James Bond, and The Matrix movies. I always had a lot of friends who were guys, so I'm well-versed in giving dating advice and tolerating stupid boy humor. I'm also really good at picking out guy clothes and totally understand the rationale behind purchasing expensive jeans that already look worn out.

So, I don't know. Maybe we'll be okay. I might not be the most obvious choice for a boy mom, but I think I'll be a pretty good one. I mean, look! Here's Calvin, climbing the stairs, with snot all over his face. And I put him in sweatpants! Nothing says "my mom is totally qualified to raise a male child" like a kid sporting snot and sweatpants. Even if they are from Baby Gap.




6 comments:

Jaime Olson said...

This post makes me smile :)

Trish said...

You could have birthed a 4 headed scientific mystery and you'd still be a great mom to it :-)

the deKorne family said...

isn't it funny what life hands us? i still don't know how to french braid. but, i think your boy is definitely dressed better than my girls, and they also grunt when they poop, and bring me boogers. so-maybe when the gender lines are a little less blurred, i will ship them to you for weekends. :) love you-you are an amazing mom! i always knew you would be. :)

Samantha said...

I love it. You are a great mom. Boys and all.

Katie said...

Love this post. Heidi is right about the gender lines crossing sometimes, though. Thomas used to wear more hair product than anyone in this family. And Anna is my bug/critter collector. ;) Whatever the case may be, he's adorable, and you're a great mom.

Matt and Abby said...

I totally understand. I never thought I would have girls, I was never interested in girls and didn't think I could handle the drama. Of course the Lord knows what's best, right?
Maybe there is a little girl in your future. Of course you'll end up with all boys and I'll have all girls...

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design