Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Secret shame.

Being a working mom is really hard.

And so is being a stay at home mom. Don't think this is going to be one of those pointless posts where someone tries to make the case for one over the other. I've read my share of those and I seriously can't believe people keep trying to win that argument. Ain't gonna happen, folks. We're all moms and we're all working our tails off. Let. It. Go.

While I fully admit there are big perks to having a full-time job outside the home — uninterrupted computer time, daily interaction with other adults, extra income, and eight hours of freedom from the hands of another human being — there are a few things about my schedule that make life challenging. The most important one, of course, is missing out on time with my son. That's heartbreaking, and I totally get why people say they stay home because their kids are only little for so long. I do feel sadness and guilt over missing out on large chunks of my son's childhood. But this is what works for our family, and it is what it is.

The second is lack of time. I don't have enough time to do anything. And I mean ANYTHING. I follow the same exact schedule Monday through Friday:

6:30am: Drag myself out of bed.
6:30am to 8am: Get ready. Drop Calvin off. Drive to work.
8am to 5pm: Work. Eat. Work some more.
5pm to 6pm: Leave work, pick Calvin up from school, get home.
6pm to 7pm: Figure out dinner, play with Calvin, eat dinner.
7pm to 8pm: Bath, books, put Calvin to bed.
8pm to 10pm: Clean kitchen, do laundry, collapse on couch.
10pm: Drag myself into bed.

Rinse and repeat. Except for Tuesdays, when my in-laws come over to give me a break at night.

I literally have two hours (three if you count my lunch break, which is typically utilized for errand running) a day to get things done. Unfortunately, by that point in the day my son is in bed, my husband is probably at work, and I'm exhausted. Truly, there aren't enough hours in the day to tackle my "should dos" or even my "need to dos" after checking off the "must dos" — which are currently limited to working and tending to the basic needs of my family. And on the weekends my priority is spending time with Calvin and Nate, not mopping my floors and going to the post office.

I think the thing that appeals most to me about staying home — besides the obvious benefit of caring for your children — is the flexibility. The ability to run errands. Make a decent dinner. Throw in a load of laundry. Pick up the house. Use nap time to accomplish something. Of course I realize being home is equally (if not more) exhausting, that you can't spend all your time cleaning and running errands when you're home with your kids, and that doing those things with kids in tow is no easy task (plus cleaning with kids is pretty much pointless because it will just be messy again two minutes later), but having the option to do those things during the day would be nice. I can't do any of that from work, and yet it still needs to get done at some point.

Basically, I'm romanticizing life at home and using work as a big, fat excuse for my lack of productivity. And now you'll see why.

The Abby who started this blog back in 2008 had a house that looked like this:



And the Abby you know today has a house that looks like this:


You know that whole "clean kitchen" line on my little schedule? Yeah. That's on a good night. So is the laundry. More often than not, I put Calvin to bed, take a shower (because it gives me five extra minutes of sleep in the morning), put my pjs on, and sink into the couch. I might shove everything in the sink or load the dishwasher, but I rarely have the energy to clean the entire kitchen. And right now I wait until I'm almost out of clean underwear to do laundry.

Oh, and my bathroom? Yeah, don't even ask. I used to be completely militant about cleaning it from top to bottom before anyone came over, lest there be a stray piece of hair on the floor or vanity. Now my in-laws come over weekly and kneel on the floor to give my son a bath and I don't even remember to put a hand towel up before they arrive...much less vacuum or mop the floor. Full disclosure: Half the time Nate and I dry our hands on the shower curtain.

Three years ago I never would have admitted these shortcomings to a soul, much less the entire blogosphere. I worked really hard to maintain the illusion that housekeeping comes naturally to me. It doesn't. Obviously. I am a slob of the highest order. Yet for the longest time I knocked myself out trying to keep my house clean, because I thought an orderly house equaled a happy home.

You know what? It doesn't.

I discovered this important truth once I accepted the fact that I no longer have the time, energy, or desire to maintain my previous housekeeping standards. While my home may be a complete disaster 90% of the time, it's happier than it's ever been. And so am I.

Though I'm not sure happiness is a good enough excuse for failing to hang up a hand towel. I'll try to squeeze that in somewhere.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your full disclosures! I am no where near brave enough to post a picture of my kitchen! And I see nothing wrong with drying hands on the shower curtain every now and then. I'm just happy when I can get Nate to use something other than his pant leg.

I love being home with David in the summers, and I love the flexibility that we have to do things. That is the number one thing I miss when I go back to work. But, in the summers, I totally miss the daily adult interactions, and find myself hoping that someone at Target will say more than "Hi". I have thought about starting a conversation in the diaper isle, but I don't want that mom to think I am crazy. :)

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Sans bottles, our kitchen looks like that if I don't feel like it and I don't even have a family as a reason - don't feel bad, you have your priorities straight. And, yes, please send me a Pinterest invite.

Katie said...

Oh, the shower curtain thing had me giggling. And listen, you have it harder. Hands down. You amaze me.

Full disclosure: My kitchen pretty much looks like that and I don't have a job outside the house.

Matt and Abby said...

Love this post. My house looks like that. But sometimes it's clean for like 5 minutes. It's hard being a mom no matter what you do and how much you work or don't work outside the home. Anyway, your house is messy because you have kids. Your house will be clean once your kids are grown. That's what I remind myself every day when I look around. I treasure the mess because it means I have kids. Enjoy:)

the deKorne family said...

Omigosh I NEVER have a hand towel up. I tried last week and ava got it soaking wet and tried to wash off the toenail polish she put on while I was sleeping. :) these are the things that make us friends forever. I agree with katie...don't know how you do it. You are my hero!

Vuong Family said...

dude. you should see my floors right now. i'm pretty sure we are violating some health codes.

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design