Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Baby, you're a firework.

No, wait. I think a more fitting title for this post would be "You're a baby, and your dad let you hold a firework."

!!!!

Three days later and I'm still a little freaked out. Good thing Nate got it on video so I can relive my horror.



I was taking a nap. See, this is why moms never rest. We can't, for fear our children might burn their faces off while under the supervision of their fathers. Their ADULT fathers who are NURSES and spent 10 YEARS working in the emergency room.

Luckily, he survived. This time. And I'm talking about Nate, not Calvin. Although he survived, too. Which is a good thing, because I wouldn't have wanted him to miss out on the weekend's main event:

CARS 2!

Yes, we took a barely two-year-old to a movie. And stuffed him with popcorn and gummy bears. At 10:45am. He loved it and sat still for the entire film. Thumbs up!




I'd like to publicly apologize to Nate for posting that last photo, because he's making a really goofy face. But sometimes we have to make sacrifices for our kids, and that picture of Calvin is necessary to the thumbs up series. And also, HE GAVE OUR SMALL CHILD A FIREWORK.

I've always been a big proponent of reading the book before the movie. Luckily, Aunt Jill and Uncle Kyle were up to the task, because I was too tired and probably lying down somewhere.



The rest of the weekend was spent running around my mom and dad's backyard — and the backyards of their neighbors, who have swing sets and playhouses and spinny flowers.






Sunday night we watched fireworks from the park by my parents' house where Nate and I got engaged. Calvin loved them, and really loved staying up so late. He kept yelling "IT'S SO PRETTY" way too loudly.







Those sad little fireworks pictures and the cute but blurry shots of Calvin were included solely to make the case to my husband that my point-and-shoot camera with the broken zoom is no longer cutting it. Our camera situation has become dire, and we are now officially in the market for a DSLR. Recommendations? Donations?

Oh, and finally, my latest and greatest wreath. Remember those stars? I think this one turned out pretty cute, and it's by far the least amount of effort I've put into one of these. My yarn wreath has found a new home in my living room.


Happy Fourth!

6 comments:

April Gann said...

1. Your blog is really fun to read. I always laugh. Love the progression of thoughts.

2. Men and Fireworks. I watched my 58 year old dad set off huge fireworks and hobble away not fast enough (double knee replacement). I think men must be born with the firework thing. It's scary. At least Cal's learning young so he'll know what he's doing, I guess. :)

Mary said...

Love this post, but I love them all really. It is way too cool and cute how well Calvin talks! I'm amazed, and now find myself wanting to go home and teach Noah the word "mosquitoes" just to see how well/bad he says it LOL!!! I love your wreath too...sooooooooo cute!

Emily said...

I was totally going to give Simon a sparkler... If we'd had any and if he hadn't been so dang cranky from not napping AND being around people all weekend long. But one of us would have been "helping" him.

And I love the wreath. I never got around to making my patriotic one so my spring wreath is hanging on the front of the house. (Notice I say "house" not "door?")

Unknown said...

Looks like so much fun!
We have a Nikon D80 and love it! It takes great pictures and is easy to use. The D90 is the next model up and has the ability to do video as well. Nate has that one and work and we have borrowed it a few times. For the money, the D80 is all we need, but the video option is nice.

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Looks like a great 4th!! I love the photos of Cal trying to give a thumbs up.

Samantha said...

Nikon D3100. I am in love with mine.

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design