Monday, October 24, 2011

Heaven in a baking cup.

I follow a lot of food blogs.

A lot a lot.

Which is funny, since I don't like to cook. But maybe not that funny, since I love to eat.

Pinterest has made my food blog followin' ways a lot easier, that's for sure. While I usually have a general sense of where I found stuff online, it helps me keep the recipes I can't not make in one handy little place.

Here's what my "Yum" board looks like on Pinterest:


HELLO GORGEOUS.

I've only made a few of the recipes I've collected so far, but last week I decided to give this one a try: Double chocolate pumpkin cake with pumpkin spice buttercream.

What the what?

I know. You can't not make that, can you?

So I made it. And let me tell you...I licked the crap out of that mixing bowl. Raw eggs and all. I kept saying "I shouldn't be doing this..." as I globbed another spoonful out of the bottom and into my mouth. I probably had an entire cupcake's worth of batter left once I'd filled two muffin pans, but instead of topping them off I chose a path filled with gluttony and irresponsibility.

But...baby's still kicking and I haven't come down with salmonella yet, so I'm guessing things are fine.

Here, my friends, is the must-have recipe of the week. You're welcome.

Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
Courtesy of: Picky Palate
Serves: 24 (or 25, depending on how you use that last cupcake's worth)
Prep and cook time: 45 minutes

Cake:
1 box devils food cake mix
1 small box instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
15 ounce can pumpkin (reserve 2 tablespoons)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons reserved pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two muffin tins with paper cups. Place cake mix, pudding mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, sour cream and can of pumpkin, and chocolate chips in a bowl or stand mixer, and mix until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly into cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.

While cakes are baking prepare the buttercream. Place butter, reserved 2 tablespoons pumpkin and cinnamon into stand or electric mixer. Mix on high until well combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Slowly add the milk until buttercream is a nice consistency. Frost over cooled cakes, slice and serve.

5 comments:

April Gann said...

I think a tear just rolled down my eye. Your board makes me so sad that I had to give up gluten and dairy. It all looks spectacular. Especially the Texas Roadhouse rolls. You should make those and blog about the good old days when we ate out every Friday on with our parents' money. :)

Susie said...

Just made these too. Yum.

Emily said...

I love my pinterest food board too... Mmmmm! And I MUST try this cake!

Matt and Abby said...

Whoa, that sounds amazing. Can't wait to try it. It also sounds like I need to spend a few hours looking over your pinterest food boards. Isn't pinterest the greatest invention ever?

Jaime Olson said...

You had me at "Frosting: 2 sticks unsalted butter." I'm making this right now. Because as you said, how could I not? Also, "What the what?" is my new favorite thing.

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design