Monday, August 6, 2012

Light.

What a summer, you guys. And I don't mean that in a good way. For one thing, until last week it was about a zillion degrees with 300% humidity here. July was gross, and we spent most of it indoors. Which is slightly less than ideal when one of your two children has enough energy to fuel a rocket and you're the kind of mom who doesn't like having a messy house.

For another, most of the summer has been spent with one of us at work and one of us at home. Nate and I haven't seen much of each other, our kids haven't seen much outside the four walls of our house, and we have only seen the pool TWICE, which is a real travesty in my opinion.

Finally, we've taken three trips this summer. Two of the three were to funerals, the most recent of which was for Nate's beloved Grandma Adele.

This probably goes without saying, but extreme heat, opposite schedules, and burying people you love does not an awesome summer make.

June and July: good riddance to you both.

But August? Well, August is looking pretty darned good.

This past weekend it was in the 70s. The 70s! Do you know how good the 70s feels after weeks and weeks and months (ok, exaggerating just a bit) of 90s? Really good. REALLY REALLY GOOD. Calvin got to play outside at home and go to the park twice. We had a picnic last night. Audra went on the swings for the first time. I could breathe without my inhaler and my hair wasn't of Monica-in-Barbados proportions. It was perfection.

Also, Nate starts a new job next week. A new job during regular business hours. This probably means very little to anyone who doesn't know us well, but our families, close friends and anyone else who has ever tried to make plans with us can attest to the magnitude of this news. Eleven years of crazy hospital schedules and multiple jobs and never seeing each other is about to become evenings, weekends, and holidays together as a family. I can't even fathom how this is going to change our lives. There are some negatives, of course — next Monday I'm returning to work full time, Calvin's returning to preschool full time, and Audra's starting daycare full time. I won't lie: I'm brokenhearted about those changes. But I know the trade-off — a normal schedule that includes time for our family, each other, and our friends — will be worth it.

Finally, I get to see my besties in two weeks, because our dear friend April is getting married in Detroit! The five of us haven't been together in nearly two years, and this will be the first time we've had all of our husbands and kids together. And when I say together, I mean together...eight adults and 11 kids in one house for two days. It's going to be a little crazy and a lot of fun and I can't wait to see their sweet faces and hug them all tight.

So, hooray for August and all it will bring. I feel like there is finally, FINALLY, a light at the end of this long, hot, craptastic summer tunnel. And just beyond that light, well...I'm pretty sure there are cooler temps and a pumpkin spice latte waiting for me.

I'm so ready.

4 comments:

mcmuff said...

And I think we might be in there somewhere, too.

Samantha said...

What a nice post. Sorry you guys lost loved ones. That's hard. I'm happy you guys are on a better road!

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

This will be a lot of comments all in one:
I am so sorry to hear about your funerals.
Congrats to Nate!!
And, I wish it was 70's here.
April, if you are reading this - CONGRATS!!!

The Moser Fam... said...

Yipppeeee..that is exactly how I feel about my summer too (aside from that one really fun vacation)...I can't wait to see you and your little people and your hubby very soon! Love you!!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design