Friday, September 10, 2010

Minnesota vs. Illinois

Nate and I have had many discussions on the topic of Minnesota vs. Illinois: Which State is Better? We are both deeply loyal to our home states, and therefore no conclusion has been reached to date.

The most logical solution, of course, would be calling a truce and agreeing on Wisconsin. But we Breyers are not known for our logic (nor are we all that fond of Wisconsin), and so the battle rages on.

However, as we traveled from Minnesota to Illinois last weekend, I believe we may have found an answer. A mathematical one, at that! And we all know how good I am at math.

The following is a summary of our trip. I have assigned points to each activity so as to determine which state offers the best experience. I'm sure you will all agree that this is a fair and unbiased look at all three states.

We'll start with Minnesota, Nate's home state and my place of residence for the past 10 years.

On Friday morning, all Minnesota had to offer us was a car accident with our only road-trip approved vehicle. Minnesota: -1


(Or, more accurately, Nate: -1)

Luckily it also provided a lovely bright red rental car, leaving us a mere three hours behind schedule. Minnesota: +1


Enter Wisconsin. Land of cops with nothing better to do than sit and wait for you to speed on I-94.

Wisconsin has Fazoli's breadsticks! Wisconsin +1


While in Wisconsin, I lost my check card at the gas station for like 20 minutes. Nate finally found it under the tire. It was annoying and I was confused. Wisconsin: -1

(Okay, fine. Abby: -1)

So, Minnesota and Wisconsin — meh. Not so great. Let's see how my beloved home state of Illinois treated us, shall we?

Illinois did not judge us for silly faces or crazy hair — things both Calvin and I have in abundance. It's a friendly place. Illinois +1




Illinois has lots of room to run and play, and fun people to run and play with. Illinois +1






In Illinois, we had chocolate milkshakes and turtle cheesecake. I think the pictures speak for themselves. Jill and I are so blissed out over that milkshake that we look kind of stupid. Illinois +1




Illinois is home to a large chunk of my Dad's very hilarious family, all of whom joined us for dinner one night. Illinois: +0 (I'm giving this a point for fun, and taking away a point for exposing the other diners to McLaughlin family insanity. I am SO sorry.)



In Illinois, Calvin was allowed to have Nilla Wafers before bed each night. He slept with them clutched in his tiny hands, then ate them for breakfast when he woke up. Talk about fun! Illinois: +1


While in Illinois, we had my mom's homemade macaroni and cheese and Nate's fried chicken — which my Dad has been salivating over since I first posted it on the blog. It was amazing. To be fair, the chicken originated in Minnesota, so they should get a point, too. Illinois: +1, Minnesota: +1






Jumping on oversized chairs is really fun and totally acceptable in Illinois. Illinois: +1




And, finally, being in Illinois means time with four of the people we love most. We love you, Nana, G-Pop, Aunt Jill and Uncle Kyle! Illinois: +1








While there was nothing interesting to report from our trip back through Wisconsin, I have to give credit where credit is due. Our return to Minnesota brought one little boy and one small brown dog a lot of joy. Minnesota: +1


Final tally:

Minnesota: +4*
Nate: -1
Wisconsin: +1
Abby: -1
Illinois: +7

Well, will you look at that! Illinois wins!**

*Since Minnesota has lots of people we love, including most of our Breyer family, I gave it an extra point. I'm nothing if not fair.

**Nate is more than welcome to challenge these findings; however that will require him to actually login and create a post. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

9 comments:

the deKorne family said...

Well I think it's blatantly obvious you should move to Illinois. See ya soon!

Katie said...

Hilarious. Abby's creativity abounds. I've only driven through Illinois on the way to Heidi's (and had a layover in O'Hare in '02). Good experiences. (I'd love to visit Chicago one of these days.) I've never seen so many cornfields in all my life. They're beautiful.

Mary said...

Holy crap, Abby...that was awesome! You made my day yet again :)

Emily said...

What a fun look at your weekend away. I think it's clear that Illinois wins too... Not that you're the least bit biased or anything!

The Moser Fam... said...

I have to say...I agree. Illinois is a lovely state...cornfields and endless views of the horizon and well, people we love (that always helps!). CUTE post! So glad you had fun at home...love you! :)

Vuong Family said...

Illinois is cool, I guess. But you haven't yet made a road trip to North Dakota, have you? There are points aplenty for shear awesomeness there. Perhaps I'll have to create my own point system when we travel there again.

Muff McLaughlin said...

I would grudgingly give MN a point for Holy Land, but only grudgingly because we don't have one and I wish we did.
But then we have Merichka's. So I guess we're still ahead.
And we have the Stanley Cup. +1
And after this summer, it seems we have caught up with MN on mosquitoes. But then we're still ahead, aren't we?

Muff McLaughlin said...

By the way, Abby, I believe this is known as "stirring the pot."

Matt and Abby said...

How hilarious. I read this before we travelled to Chicago. While we were there, something bad happend (I forget what) and I said that Chicago just lost a billion points. Matt then thought that was funny. So he thinks he has a funny wife and I just stole your joke!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design