Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ham.

"Ham! Ham! Ham!" shouts Calvin — morning, noon, and night.

"Ughhhhhhhhhhh," says his mom in return.

Am I the only one who had fond memories of reading Dr. Seuss books as a child and couldn't wait to read them to my own kids but then once I did realized they are really long and quite annoying? Making this even worse, my child refuses to read one book and move on to the next...it's Green Eggs and Ham, and then Green Eggs and Ham again, and then maybe, if we're lucky, a round of Dr. Seuss' ABC before once again reading Green Eggs and Ham. And then we* have a tantrum because, SERIOUSLY, no. No more Green Eggs and Ham. ABC, fine. Ham, no.

I would not, could not in the dark.
I could not, would not in a park.
I DON'T LIKE THIS BOOK YOU SILLY MAN.**
I don't like it one bit, Sam-I-Am.


*By "we" I mean me.

*The silly man being Dr. Seuss, of course. Not Calvin. I love Calvin. Which is why I read him annoying books over and over and over again. I just wish he'd branch out...maybe to Fox in Socks. Or One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. Or Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections.

6 comments:

the deKorne family said...

I have conveniently packed those for the next several months. You are a good MOm for reading, I just gave up on the entire process and delegated it to grandparents and baby sitters.

Emily said...

Bwahahaha! Dr Suess claims another...

And yes... They are looooong books! Simon won't even sit still for one of those so we're still on Pajama Time, Barnyard Dance, and Bugs at Play.

The Moser Fam... said...

We just read a lot of Sesame Street books still and Sandra Boynton. I have a whole huge stack of Dr. Suess just waiting to be read though. :) Hey...at least he likes to read!

April Gann said...

Really? Because I think the ABC and One Fish Two Fish are much worse. Just wait until he starts reading. And wants to read them to you over and over again. At a SLOW pace. Really, your Dr. Seuss life could be so much worse, Abby.

Mary said...

Hilarious! Noah thankfully doesn't like Green Eggs and Ham, he loves the ABC one though. His go-to book is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Toddler seek and find book. Holy crap it gets old! I think he notices which books I get excited about though, so that's nice, every once in a while he'll grab one b/c he knows I love it :)

Muff McLaughlin said...

I volunteer to read red fish blue fish. I love that book. But I will be really excited when he wants to read The Monster at the End of This Book!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design