Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fabulous finds.

1. Yesterday I bought the greatest invention known to (wo)man: A pair of reversible Spanx tights. Yes, that's right. Reversible. Black on one side, brown on the other, with a control top that doesn't dig into your waist. I read about them in some magazine and decided they must be mine, since I love to wear skirts in the winter but hate the cheap tights offered places like Target. I mean, why buy two cheap pairs of tights — one black, one brown — when you can buy one expensive pair that serves both purposes, is better quality, and sucks in your flab?

2. My beloved Boden has done it again. Look at this. And this. And oh my — this (I want that entire outfit). And then look at this. EEEEEE! Hopefully they'll expand the line a bit before I'm pregnant again, but I am loving the ruffle front and maxi dresses. Between Boden and Hot Mama (my go-to the last go-round), I might just break the bank next time I'm in the market for maternity wear. Which is not right now, in case anyone's wondering.

3. Inspired by all those fashion bloggers I follow, last night I decided to shop my own closet. I have an event tonight and I am so sick and tired of everything I own. I think that might be the result of two things: One, I put on a few pounds over the holidays and it's too cold to go anywhere or do anything active (plus there's that whole "tied to the house because I have a kid" thing), so I feel like a bucket of lard. Two, I wear the same stuff over and over again in the same ways. I have my go-to pieces, I style them the way I like them the first time, and then I just keep repeating that look over and over again. It's no wonder I get bored so quickly. So last night I decided to challenge myself a bit, and I came up with a cute twist on an old favorite:

Black and white tweed knee-length skirt
Black ruffle neck tank, tucked in (whoa)
Wide black belt at the waistline
Red cropped cardigan with pleated details and black/gold buttons
Black tights and black patent leather heels
Big gold hoops

It's not like I'm wearing a crazy outfit, it's just...put together. With this skirt I'd typically throw on a black turtleneck and tall boots and call it good. But this twist is bright and detailed and a little sassy. This morning I actually felt kind of cute for a change, and my feelings were confirmed when I came downstairs and Nate said "you look really cute!" So now I'm feeling inspired to try and branch out a bit more with what I already have. Don't worry, though, I'm not about to start posting pictures.

4. The biggest pants-related trend for spring? Wide leg jeans. HALLELUJAH! I've come to a place of acceptance with skinny jeans, even purchasing a pair of my own (though I continue to wear them with trepidation and a bit of fear), but fact is: there's no better look for a girl with hips than a pair of wide leg jeans.

5. Last but not least (and off the topic of clothing and onto my other favorite topic, food): I'm certainly not going to get any skinner making things like this (and who cares anyway, I have magic tights and wide leg jeans!), but don't you think this cake would be super cute for Calvin's second birthday party? Or, you know, Wednesday?

8 comments:

April Gann said...

There is so much to say about this post. Thanks for making it come in the afternoon. Great reading.
1.I have had reversible spanx tights for years. They are the only thing that lasts. And the warmest ever. Sorry I didn't tell you about them sooner. I swear by them.
2. This post NEEDS a picture of your cute outfit.
3. Glad you told me about wide legged jeans. I was just getting used to skinny. Huh.
4. Oh.my.gosh. About the cake. Brilliant.

the deKorne family said...

You always look cute. But tucking in a wide belt sounds awesome and very daring. I would no more put a wide belt around this middle than walk around naked. Way to go. Yum to the cake. I would like an invite to the party please.

Emily said...

Yeah for wide leg jeans!!!!! (I still hate the skinny ones.)

And I'll take one of those cakes too... :)

Katie said...

pictures! pictures! pictures!

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Love the wide legged jeans. After trying a pair of skinny jeans on ONCE, I decided I looked like a stuffed sausage and would rather look normal than fashionable!!! ha ha :-) I've made popcorn balls like that cake and it's YUM-O - you, uhh - I mean Calvin, will love it!

Mary said...

The cake looks good for Wednesday! LOL So funny! I'm going to make it, hopefully I can find pink marshmallows and make it for a friend for V-day :) I want to see pics of your outfits!!! No fair! ;)

The Moser Fam... said...

Love that cake...make it!! :)

Unknown said...

Wide leg jeans are the best! I never liked skinny jeans. Having wide leg jeans makes it easier for me to eat some of that cake. :) Yum!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design