Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Seriously.

At three months old, I can say this with certainty: Audra is a Serious Baby.

Calvin was, too, for a while. But once he started smiling, he smiled all the time. By three months I had numerous pictures of my little man grinning from ear to ear.

I think I have one of Audra. (See last post.) And it's not even a good picture.

It's not for lack of trying, either. That girl lights up like a Christmas tree...once she's looked you over and deemed you and your smile-inducing efforts worthy, that is. But as soon as I whip out the camera, or my phone, she's back to being stone-faced.

She's not a performer, our little Audra. She's an observer. A thinker. She emerged from the womb with a look of skepticism on her face. When Calvin nursed, he latched on with the enthusiasm of a guy about to inhale a giant hamburger. Audra latches tentatively, gently, her dark eyes darting back and forth watchfully as she eats.

Already I can tell she's going to be easier on us than Calvin has been. She's more deliberate, more cautious, more thoughtful. I love the way she watches us, the way her eyes follow Calvin as he races around her. She is content to lie on the floor and look at a book, or bat at things on her activity mat for lengthy periods of time. She loves sucking on her pacifier, and is instantly soothed by its rhythm. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to do more than pick her up to calm her down. And she's slept through the night pretty consistently since she was eight weeks old — a miracle in my mind. Her needs are simple: a clean diaper, a full belly, and someone or something interesting to watch.

It's amazing how quickly the differences between my children have become evident. Calvin hurtles through life at the speed of light, with smiles and charm to spare. But Audra, well, I think she's going to be the kind of girl who looks before she leaps. The kind of girl who values authenticity. The kind of girl who has much to offer, but only offers it to those who are deserving.

I already love this about her.

She may make us work a little harder for those smiles than her brother did, but oh, is she ever worth it.





3 comments:

Jen Knox said...

Such a sweet post, Abby! And I adore those striped baby legs (-:

Vuong Family said...

seriously? she is so sweet! seriously? how have we not connected yet? seriously? I cannot wait to see you guys and give her a little squeeze. seriously.

Anonymous said...

Maddie was serious too! I have very few smiling baby pictures of her. It must be fun to watch how two kids, from the same two people, can be so different!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design