Monday, May 21, 2012

Up, up and away: Calvin's UP themed birthday party.

I had such a ball doing Calvin's birthday party this year! You may recall I gave him a choice between Disney's Up or Toy Story 3. He chose Up and I rejoiced. I had a much clearer vision for an Up-themed party, and I am so happy with how it turned out!

Of course there isn't anything out there in the way of Up birthday paraphernalia, so I decided to focus on balloons and add in some travel where I was able. The result was a very cheerful house and a very happy three year old!
 
A fancy balloon garland greeted our guests.
I liked the view from inside better, actually. 
The tissue paper garland, my favorite thing! Kinda want to leave it up year-round...
The bright, yummy food table.
Our birthday boy, snacking his way through a bowl of caramel corn. His birthday shirt lasted all of two seconds — it ended up sopping wet and discarded.
The buffet hosted the remaining cupcakes, treat bags, and the marshmallow pops. I put gumballs, bubbles, and fruit snacks in the bags, and every kid got a paper passport inscribed with "Thanks for celebrating with me, now go have an adventure!" Laminated Up-themed travel posters are tucked into the mirror, and the banner says "Adventure Awaits." I used little red paper suitcases to house the favors, marshmallow pops, and napkins.
Yummy kid-friendly finger foods: pigs in a blanket, watermelon, veggies and dip in individual cups, caramel corn in striped boxes, and tortilla rollups. And also a close-up of the table, which was covered in felt cloud cutouts and large tissue paper confetti.

The super adorable and very easy marshmallow pops. (Balloons in the sky, get it?)
If you've ever wondered whether Pioneer Woman's "That's the best frosting I've ever had" is also the best frosting you've ever had, the answer is yes.
So that's the party...up next, the people! The kids had such a blast — so thankful the storms stayed at bay until the party was over and cleaned up. It was mid-80s and sunny almost the entire day, so we set up the water table and the kids went to town. Poor Matilda spent the entire day soaking wet, but she loved it as much as they did!
 


 
Happy birthday to our big three year old!

6 comments:

Samantha said...

You nailed it! No shocker there. Come plan my kids birthdays. I suck at it. LOL! Thanks for sharing, I've been waiting to see how it turned out. I LOVE IT!

Matt and Abby said...

The food looks fantastic! You are a great party planner, I need you for my girls' parties.

Emily said...

So awesome! LOVE Calvin in his super cape. (At least that's what I assume it is.)

the deKorne family said...

Yeah, you're right. That looks almost exactly like my party. I'm such an idiot.

the deKorne family said...

:) But really- AMAZING!!!!!!! And send me that dress right now you cutie!!! And I love seeing that sweet baby and your cute parents, (Greg and Muff), and that frosting made me jealous. And I have all this love for you and your party except that it's about the movie UP...because you know how I feel about that movie. I love you, you darling smart ass. I just love you. :)

Trish said...

I'm so late to the party -- but, looks great, super cute!!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design