Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Matilda and the Blue Pen.

Kind of reminds me of Harold and the Purple Crayon. Except I found that story far more amusing.

After months and months of me whining about how we need a new living room rug, we finally got one. Saturday morning we marched into Pottery Barn, took a quick look at the two rugs we'd found in the catalog, made our decision, and purchased it. Took about four minutes.

I love the rug: it's happy and fun. My only concern about getting a new one was Mattie chewing on it. When she was a baby she chewed up one corner of our previous rug, which we chalked up to teething. And she really didn't chew on anything else for a long time (except the wall trim when she couldn't get to her ball behind the tv stand). But over the last few months she's gotten into some trouble — once we caught her chewing on the couch cushions (both of the loveseat cushions now have bite marks on the corners) and another time she attacked the same corner of the old rug. So I was convinced she would smell the new rug smell and decide she needed to give it a good chomp.

I came home from work yesterday expecting to find a slightly chewed rug corner (but really hoped I was wrong).

Well, I was wrong.

What I found, instead, was a series of bright blue stains on my rug...the kind of stains you'd get after drawing on the rug with a blue marker.

Matilda, in all her curious wisdom, somehow located a blue gel pen, settled into a corner of the rug, and chowed down. She chewed the end off the pen, which meant all the ink leaked out onto my rug. And also onto her head. If she was hoping to plead innocent to the rug destruction, she really should have checked out a mirror before I came home.

I spent about 25 minutes on my hands and knees with our trusty can of Resolve — usually reserved for other dog-related messes, such as puke. Luckily most of the ink came out, and rest is conveniently disguised by a big red flower. I really wish she'd decided to chew the pen on one of the blue flowers...but I guess that's my fault. Nate and I haven't worked on colors with her yet.

Though she did manage to match the ink on her face to her new collar...so maybe I'm not giving her enough credit.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Man, you must be a way nicer pregnant person than me because I would have FLIPPED OUT! That was the thing I hated most when I was pregnant. Coming home to surprise dog messes. My friend Nicole actually posted her dogs on Craigslist during a pregnant dog episode.

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Oh, I feel your pain... love them and hate them all at the same time. Although come to think of it, my niece did the same thing with a highlighter! So maybe, in a way, Matilda is just getting you prepared!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design