Thursday, March 5, 2009

Would you like fries with that shake?

Why yes, I would.

I love McDonald's. Admitting this publicly is kind of embarrassing. I may as well just say "yes, I eat like crap and need to lose weight." Which is true. Though I don't always eat like crap, I have a tendency to find myself in the McDonald's drive thru about once a week. I will not apologize for my devotion to the sausage egg mcmuffin. Or french fries.

While my love for those two items is strong, the deep-rooted longing I feel for McDonald's every March can only be attributed to one thing: the Shamrock Shake.

Available for a limited time only (kind of like the McRib used to be...and maybe still is. I don't really know, anything called McRib seems gross to me so therefore I am not up on its comings and goings), the Shamrock Shake is synonymous with spring. And my birthday. Many a March day has been celebrated with a cup of this creamy, minty deliciousness. I am not typically a shake person, but this one is special.

I probably wouldn't want one so badly if it was available year-round. Or if it was available everywhere...which it is not. You have to search for the Shamrock Shake. I didn't know this, because the McDonald's in Joliet always had them and I assumed that was the case everywhere (because, really, why wouldn't it be?). But they are not as readily available in Minnesota. In fact, I haven't had one since I moved here in 1999. Every year I would check the menu at my local McDonald's, but I never saw it. Disappointing, to say the least. I even spent some time trying to decipher www.shamrockshake.com — a website where people can submit the locations where they found the Shamrock Shake — but it's the worst website in the world and I couldn't figure out how to use it. (The Shake's loyal following is impressive though; good to know I'm not alone in my search.)

But then! I was lamenting the Shamrock Shake's non-existence to my friend Barbara a few weeks ago, and she told me a friend of ours usually finds one every March. (How did I not know this?) I immediately emailed Jennifer, and the three of us set up a search party/lunch date.

And we found it. About two blocks away from our office. That's right, after all this time, the Shamrock Shake was right down the street from me.

It was well worth the drive.

5 comments:

Emily Beal said...

Who knew that Joliet would have the right idea when it came to the availability of the wonderfully delicious Shamrock Shake!

BTW, a friend of mine recently told me that she gets half Shamrock shake and half chocolate shake. Said it tastes like an Andes mint!

Anonymous said...

this makes me laugh! we have a good friend here who also is addicted to the shamrock shake. he has done some serious searching as well. glad you found one!

the deKorne family said...

oddly, i don't really care for the shamrock shake. i prefer a banana/chocolate side by side from steak n shake. my husband however, would drive to minneapolis if that's what it took for him to get one. you, april and mark share the shamrock love. love YOU though-can't WAIT to see you!

The Moser Fam... said...

never had one...hmm..i'll have to try it now :) i have been eating many a turtle/oreo blizzard from DQ lately though...so good... love you!

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

I emailed McDonald's (after calling several of them down here to see if the offered it - NO!) only to find out that it's a "regional decision" to offer it... this is a strike against the South. After reading your post I have been craving one every day! ahhhhhhh

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design