Friday, August 26, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Older

Is 32 the new 22?

I sure hope not.

At 22 I was a college graduate with no prospects. My boyfriend had dumped me. I had a degree but no career. I was living with my parents. I made $8.50 an hour lugging formal dresses around Bloomingdale's. I spent my money on designer clothes and cranberry and vodkas, and barely had enough left over for my student loans and car payment. I was on the fast-track to building some serious debt, which would haunt me throughout my 20s.

On the flip side, I had a lot of fun. My clothes were awesome, as was my body. I dated some interesting guys (some of whom were far more memorable than others, to which my friend Jo can attest). I went out with friends nearly every night of the week. I stayed up late and and got up even later. My parents provided my food, paid all my utilities. I had little-to-no responsibility because my lifestyle at the time didn't require much more than showing up to work and paying my bills on time.

At various times throughout the past 10 years, I've romanticized my early 20s. Nate and I will often reminisce about our early days together and think — wow, we sure had fun. But fun was all we had. Besides meeting Nate, very little from that time period is worth remembering. It's a blur of late nights and tipsy kisses, irresponsibility and immaturity.

At 32, I have responsibility. Loads of it. Bills to pay and to-do lists to complete and children to raise. But I also have a solid foundation on which to stand in both my faith and my family. I have a loving Father. A devoted husband. A beautiful little boy at home and a precious baby girl on the way. A stable career. A roof over my head. I have priorities, and most of the time I have them straight(ish).

I also have crows feet, about 30 pounds to lose, and a pretty pathetic excuse for a social life. There's no question: I've aged. Twenty two-year-old Abby would be dismayed. But 32-year-old Abby knows better.

32 isn't as glamorous or exciting as 22. And it's a lot harder, more exhausting. But with age comes experience, maturity, and the ability to differentiate between what's "fun" and what's meaningful.

No doubt these will be years worth remembering.

--
After a few weeks off, this post was written as part of Five Minute Friday. Visit The Gypsy Mama to link up or read other bloggers' take on this week's prompt, Older.

5 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

I have learned that life is not all about fun, and happiness can be found in so many places. Loved your thoughts today. Visiting from Gypsy Mama.

jenn said...

I like your thoughts on this. I would never go back to 22 either.

Amy Sullivan said...

I liked this! Most of the time, I have my priorities straight-ish too.

Nice meeting you through the link-up.

the deKorne family said...

But thru it all you've had good friends :)

Matt and Abby said...

Love it. And your 20's were way better than my 20's. Nice:)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design