Thursday, August 4, 2011

Things I love Thursday [Food Edition]

I don't know what it is about Thursdays and blog lists, but it's about all I can muster by this point in the week. And given my current state the only thing on my mind is food, so it seemed a logical topic. Really, you should just be thankful for whatever I throw together because I know you're all sitting at work bored out of your skulls just waiting for something new to read.

Oh, that's just me? Okay then. Congrats on being a better employee than I am. Or, if you don't work, congrats on having a better life than I do.

1. Trader Joe's Roasted Gorgonzola Crackers. They don't even need cheese. Or dip. And that's saying something from a girl who rarely lifts a cracker to her mouth without some additional motivation. Chicken in a Biskit also fall into this category.

2. Decaf vanilla coolers from Caribou Coffee. From the drive-thru, preferably. Who wants to actually take the time to get out of their car in the morning?

3. McDonald's sweet tea. One dollar any size for a limited time only. Do it.

4. Everything at Brasa. Seriously, everything. Nate and I went there for the first time in a long time on Tuesday night and it was so ridiculously good. I know there are probably only two people who read this blog and live in the Twin Cities, so I'm very sorry to the rest of you. Except for those of you who live in the south and can get slow roasted pork and red beans and rice and cheesy grits and cornbread and homemade macaroni and cheese whenever you want. Holy heck I live in the wrong part of the country. Sure, Minnesota has tater tot hotdish,* but...yeah, I can't even get through that with a straight face. I mean, tater tot hotdish? This place is so weird.

5. Bacon cheeseburger meatloaf. Cheddar cheese, pickles, thick slices of bacon on top. It's the best meatloaf in the world. And I should know, having tried them all. I'm one of those weird people who really likes meatloaf. Maybe because I really like onions. Nate hates meatloaf because of the onions...which is how we ended up having bacon cheeseburger meatloaf at our house. Onion free. Or maybe just onion light. Who knows, I don't cook, I just eat.

6. Guacamole. No specific recipe in particular, I just had a mad craving for guacamole last night around 10pm while I was watching the end of So You Think You Can Dance and was really disappointed to find we didn't have any. Not that guacamole is the sort of thing anyone just has in the fridge. It usually requires some thought and preparation. I had a bowl of Berry Kix instead. Not the same, not the same at all.

7. Diet coke. Yep, I know. Don't care. It's delicious and I love it and I'm sure my baby will be just fine if a tad hyperactive. And if he/she is not fine, well then you can go ahead and kick me when I'm down. But bring a Diet Coke because after you do I'll probably be thirsty. Also, my mom smoked** when I was in utero and look how well I turned out!

8. String cheese. For kids, or for adults? Hard to say. But I think we can all agree on it being delicious and convenient! Except for Nate, who thinks it "tastes like nothing" yet still eats it.

9. This blueberry pie recipe which I am going to make soon, while blueberries are 2/$4. I haven't actually tasted this pie yet, but I am 100% certain pie crust + blueberries + CREAM CHEESE LAYER = something I love.

10. B.T. McElrath's Salty Dog chocolate bar. It's chocolate...covered in salt. There's nothing more to say.

And, I'm done. Not because I'm out of things to list, but because it's lunchtime and I'm starving and suddenly I want pizza.

11. Pizza. Yum.

*A hotdish is a casserole, for those of you not from Minnesota, aka everyone else on the planet. Also, if you come here with preschoolers, be prepared to play "Duck Duck Gray Duck" instead of "Duck Duck Goose." Yes, I know. I'm raising my children here. Wish me luck.

**Different times, they didn't know then what they know now...yada yada. Look for a similar statement from me down the road when my kids point out how I ate lunchmeat and drank Diet Coke while pregnant.

5 comments:

Vuong Family said...

Apparently I am one of those people sitting at work looking for something new to read. Bonus-it's about food and all things yummy! Thank you. I am gonna stop and pick up some guac now.

Emily said...

Tater tot hotdish... I kinda sounds better than taterole. ;)

And that blueberry pie recipe looks amazing! (And I have TONS of blueberries right now too!!)

Carrie Ann said...

Oh man, I have so many comments to make, but I will limit it to these:

1) The Kid-Friendly Home is co-written by my friend Lindsey. How did you find it?

2) I love all the foods on your list.

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Yum on all accounts, but especially bacon cheeseburger meatloaf. YUM! I'll send you a recipe for a good strawberry pie with a cream cheese layer - also tasty!

Jen Knox said...

Yep, this place is definitely weird (-; Brasa sounds incredible...I would love to try it sometime.

The meatloaf sounds divine. I love meatloaf too, but almost never make it!

I love your blog. But you already know that (-;

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design