Monday, August 1, 2011

Mommy & me.

Because Nate works every other weekend, I try to take advantage of that one-on-one time with Calvin. Given last Saturday's dark and stormy weather, I decided it was a good day for two of my personal indoor favorites: McDonald's breakfast and a trip to the library.

If not a healthy body, at least a healthy mind, right?

A sausage egg McMuffin, an egg, bacon, cheese biscuit, two hashbrowns, and a mango pineapple smoothie = bliss.

\

During breakfast I tried to prep Calvin for our trip to the library by telling him that once we got there we'd need to stop at the counter and get a library card, which might take a few minutes. But after we did that, we'd get some new books! And that the library is a quiet place, so we'd need to use our very best library voice and listen to and obey mommy at all times.

He listened intently to my description of the library experience, thrilled at the prospect of new books. And then we practiced his library voice, which he nailed on the first try. I've been trying to get him to use that same hushed voice in other scenarios by calling it "car voice" and "morning voice" but so far it hasn't caught on. Dang.

After breakfast we made our way over the library, where I applied for a library card. I should note here that yes, I am an avid reader and yes, I should have a library card. However, I am really quite terrible at returning books on time and currently have outstanding fees in both the Dakota and Ramsey county systems. I'm a bit of a fee flee-er. The books have all been returned, but the fees have gone unpaid. I've been too nervous to try and get (another) library card now that we're back in Dakota county, because heaven only knows how much I owe in ten-year-old late fees, but then I realized that I have a new last name since I opened that first library card in Dakota county and they'll probably never know it's me. But I used Nate's phone number on my application just in case.

And now you know the extent of my criminal activity. I'm not proud, but I'm also not going to lie about it. Well, to you at least. I've obviously done my share of lying to the library system.

Side note: The woman in front of us in line was a total cat lady. Middle aged, crazy hair, sweatpants. And she was requesting a new library card because the night before she'd left it at a restaurant. She told the librarian that she'd gotten it back less than an hour later, but she was very concerned someone had used it during that time. (?) So the librarian checked her account and said it hadn't been used, and the woman said "Oh, I'm so relieved. But I'd still like a new account because I really don't know what they did with it during that time. Believe me, I know how these things work. I watch a LOT of true crime."

That was one of the more challenging "must not laugh out loud must not laugh out loud" moments I've had in life.

Anyway, after I succeeded in scamming the library into giving me another chance at borrowing books, Calvin succeeded in being the most well-behaved toddler at the library. And he loved it there! Maybe I have a shot at redeeming myself by raising a kid who loves and is respectful of the library. And by returning my books on time from now on.

He read and played while I browsed:




And then he insisted on carrying our bag full of goodies all by himself.



Our Mommy & me day ended when Daddy came home from work and crashed the party, but we still had fun. On our way home from dinner at Chili's that night, Nate and I were listening/dancing to Katy Perry in the front seat. From the backseat we heard Calvin say, "Mama, look! Look at MY moves!" I turned around to find Calvin raising and lowering his right arm again and again to the music. He dances about as well as his parents do.


I love my cutie boy and our special weekend time together. Oh, and I highly recommend Duck & Goose: How are You Feeling? and Lots of Spots. Those two books have gotten a bedtime workout this week!


Anyone notice his awesome Merichka's shirt? Nevermind that it says "tap room" on it with a picture of a cocktail glass. I may have sent him to his (church) daycare in that shirt once or twice before I even noticed...

Ugh. McDonald's, fee evasion, Katy Perry, cocktail shirts...this post isn't doing me any favors. Good thing I'm not up for any parenting awards this year.

5 comments:

Susie said...

I think our library would pay my fines for me if I could get my children to behave and use the "library voice." Believe me, they owe you.

Vuong Family said...

Totally just found a book in my car from the Maple Grove Library from 18 months ago. I had been afraid to go back to the library for the same reason as you. But I did. And now I'm probably facing fines in Washington County as well. aye.

Unknown said...

I love my mommy and me time with David. He too is a McDonald's lover! So glad you had a fun day, even if Nate did crash the party. :)

Katie said...

Crazy cat lady story=hilarious. You just can't write that stuff. And I, too, am a fan of McDonald's breakfast. Chick-fil-a's is mouth watering. Next time you're in the south, try it. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Mary said...

Cat lady had me cracking up! You are such a good blogger :)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design