Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Roll.

Probably the hardest thing for me to deal with over the past two months has been my body.

It's not good. My hips are wider, I'm flabbier from months of decreased activity, and my stomach...oh, my stomach.

While I haven't been skinny in years, I still try my darndest to keep from having a fat roll hanging over the top of my pants. At least while standing up.

Mind you, this is tricky. When you don't work out and have a penchant for french fries, there's bound to be some flab around the middle. Which means you have to dress for it. Either by wearing jeans that hit at a good spot, or wearing shirts that are a little flowier, or dressing in layers. I haven't quite mastered this skill, but I've been trying really hard. Which is why one of the highlights of wearing maternity clothes was the waistband of my pants. It lays flat — no rolls. Plus my belly was hard and smooth and cute...not something to hide.

But now, post-baby, I feel like one big fat roll. It didn't matter that I lost all 30 pounds of my baby weight within two weeks. I still couldn't get into a single pair of my pants until four weeks, and those were my fat pants. At nearly eight weeks I am now wearing my regular pre-pregnancy clothes. However, I cannot avoid the roll.

My stomach is like a separate entity, a striped blob just stuck on my front. (Striped because I suffered what is quite possibly the most extreme case of stretch marks ever in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. I thought I escaped them, but then at 30 weeks one popped up...then at 32 weeks about 40 more popped up. It's not pretty.) And dressing for it is not as easy as I'd hoped.

When I went to my six-week checkup, my midwife asked if I'd started exercising yet (yes, I try to get an hour-long workout in daily, what with all the time I have these days) and then advised me to tie something like a towel around my waist before doing my "ab work" to help bring those muscles back together.

My question is this: Who said I planned to fix this roll situation with ab work?

My only plan is to begin searching for new pants. Maybe some with a stretchy waist...

4 comments:

the deKorne family said...

totally agree. i definitely have a baby house that i can grab and show others for entertainment. :)

The Moser Fam... said...

I completely understand "the roll"...you described it very well. It's so weird how I can lose the weight but still have a blob of fat on my stomach that just hangs there. Oh..and I will fight you for the worst stretch marks. :) I bet you are cute as ever and dressing perfectly still. At least you have a sweet little boy to show for it! Love!

Samantha said...

Oh Abby. You totally know how to articulate that which we choose not to. The roll is there forever. And if you are even thinking about baby #2 ever, forget you ever had regular pants. I don't think I will ever be in my not fat pants again. Seriously. Lets forget I'm baking brownies as I type.

Anonymous said...

Abby - you're a beautiful mom. Love this blog - I feel like I'm getting to know my old friend who I haven't seen in over ten years!
I will admit (and please don't judge) that one of the reasons pregnancy scares me is because of this very thing. Sounds really dumb but I love me the way I am, not sure how well I'd deal with major body changes. I lost all of my high school chub and have kept it off for almost 8 years. Hard thing to say goodbye to.

But - some things are more important, and your son is certainly that.

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design