Friday, October 22, 2010

Mil.........k.

Mr. Bub is growing like a weed. I'm pretty sure he gets taller, faster and much more mischievous by the hour. Which is all fine and good — for the most part, we're keeping up. I attribute this to our excellent parenting skills and also to Baby Gap's adjustable waist pants. Without which we'd be up a creek, since he is longer than he is wide and only gets taller and skinnier every day.

While I'm amazed by his physical achievements of late, the verbal ones have blown me away. I was in Cleveland last weekend for what, two days? Somehow in that incredibly short amount of time he managed to learn all sorts of new things.

He learned how to say "milk" and "book" – both of which have a long wait between the first part of the word and the k. As in Mil.......k! Boo.......k!

He pointed to a door and said "door!" He pointed to my nose and said "nose!" He pointed to my phone and said "baby!" (Don't worry, it makes sense. My screen saver is a photo of baby Calvin.)

He put two words together at dinner on Monday night: "More milk!" (Hoping to add a "please" to that phrase shortly.)

He's started using "yes" and "no" appropriately.

He's begun attempting just about every word we ask him to say — which he wasn't doing a week ago.

And finally, during my incredibly moving rendition of the ABCs Sunday night, he started making hand motions. So I went back and started again....and he did them again. I think they must be teaching him to sign the alphabet at school, because I have no other explanation for that. Unless he was just waving wildly at me to shut up...?

I'll admit to feeling pretty put out over being the second person to witness these milestones (if you can even call them that). I believe my exact response was "WHY IS HE DOING ALL THESE NEW THINGS WITHOUT ME I WAS ONLY GONE FOR TWO DAYS I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED IT NOT FAIR NOT FAIR!" To which Nate coolly replied, "Really? You haven't seen any of that before? He's been doing it for a while now."

It's true, what they say. Mom puts in all the work and gets none of the glory.

(I kid, Nate. You're an amazing hands-on dad and have clearly imparted great wisdom on our child. Perhaps I should leave town more often. Say, two weeks from now?)

It's been really fun to witness these changes in our sweet little boy. Never thought I'd say this (and I'm sure I'll retract this statement within the next month), but I'm loving loving life with a toddler. I'm not loving the tantrums and biting issues (I jinxed myself yesterday, btw — but it was minor and didn't require an incident report. His teacher said things are going much better.), but this is definitely my favorite phase of parenting so far.

I say that about every phase, of course...





6 comments:

April Gann said...

Love it. I think language development is the coolest part about kids. So fun! And he'll be a bookworm before you know it! I love how you appreciate every single stage.

P.S. If I keep commenting, will you keep blogging every day?

The Moser Fam... said...

I agree with April...please keep blogging every day...I love it and it makes me feel less crazy for blogging every day myself (even though my posts contain an obsessive amount of pictures and yours are much better written)! He is such a smart little boy and so cute and well-dressed, I might add. We are all about adjustable waist pants in this house too...go Gap and Children's Place! Love!

Katie said...

Prepare to continue to be smitten. I mean, we all love our kids all the time, right? But guess what the BEST age is? (in my humble opinion)....

16-23 months. It's my Fav.Or.Ite. They're learning and growing and changing and CUTE. (also, I love 4 year olds--just wait!)

I'm a little sad that I have no more in this fun stage. So, I agree w/ April--more blog. Let me live vicariously through you during Calvin's fun stage.

Matt and Abby said...

I keep saying that too, about the phases. They just keep getting more and more fun. Does it stop at some point? Surely by the time they are 8 they aren't fun anymore:)
It's so fun to watch them grow, just make sure you keep taking pictures and video!!

Nikki said...

Since Vivi was about four months old, I keep saying, "She's getting really fun!" "Now she's REALLY fun!" "I thought she was fun before, but now she's SUPER fun!" Sounds like every stage just keeps getting better. Calvin is just adorable (and you are too!). Love you and miss you!

Carrie said...

so true about the words ... same thing at our house. all of the sudden words come out that you weren't really even working on. it is such a fun stage (minus the discipline of course!)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design