Friday, November 12, 2010

Shopaholic and friends.

I spent last weekend with six women I adore: my mom, the two Marys Breyer (my mother- and sister-in-law), and our friends Lisa, Karen, and Dawn.

Five years ago, my mom, the two Marys and I pioneered the first of many shopping trips to Galena, IL — home to many adorable things available for purchase. It started as kind of a mother/daughter trip (my SIL's mom and sister came, too), and ended up expanding just a bit to include a few other friends. We rent a darling little cottage that fits our group perfectly, and then spend the weekend shopping, eating, drinking, playing games, and talking late into the night.

It's REALLY fun.

And a little tiring. Because we don't just shop in Galena. We S-H-O-P. We shop like it's our full-time job. We wander up and down the main street for about eight hours on Saturday, and then usually a few more on Sunday. The second day of shopping is always the result of Saturday evening's show and tell, because inevitably someone wonders how they missed something someone else found and insists on going back to get it the next day.

I got home Sunday night at 4:30 and whined to Nate about how tired I was. I had no business whining about anything related to sleep after he survived two days of single parenting our toddler and daylight savings time...but I was tired. Shopping (er, S-H-O-P-P-I-N-G) will do that to you.

So, what did I buy during our little excursion?

Here are my finds, minus the big one — a gorgeous paned mirror for my dining room. It was too big for us to bring home in our car, so my mom took it home and is bringing it to me at Thanksgiving. I can't wait.

I got a few fun things for the kitchen, including a cookie scoop (it's almost time for holiday baking!), a really cute cutting board, new dishcloths, a Christmas dishtowel, a set of Halloween dishtowels (a gift from Mom...thank you!) and a little Halloween ghost bowl (all the fall holiday stuff is on clearance when we go, it's kind of fun).


I also got this sweet set of three antique puzzles. I'm going to mat and frame them for Calvin's room.


And these tin stars, which were on clearance at the first store we visited. I think I'm going to hang them at various lengths from navy ribbon on my front door for the Fourth of July.


Every year we all gravitate toward these little seasonal signs/figurines. I have a bunch of them. We all got the "Rejoice" one this year, I thought the mummy was cute (and appropriate), and the crow made me laugh. But nothing made me laugh as hard as my mother-in-law figuring out that her pair of pilgrims consisted of two women and not a male/female couple. The lesbian pilgrim figurines are officially my new favorites.


The only things I purchased for myself (well, it's all for me...but for me to wear) included a teal infinity scarf (one of those big loop ones), a scrunchy brown pashmina-y scarf, and a cool pair of earrings from a handmade jewelry store.


This year when I got home Nate actually complimented me on my shopping choices. I think he was just relieved to see me come home with a single bag. I also think he forgot about the massive mirror that's yet to arrive.

Wild hair on the streets of Galena:


With my lovely sister-in-law:


The girls (Lisa, me, Mary):


The ladies (Mary, Dawn, Mom):


And Karen (she was goofing off in the group shot, so she gets her own here):


The goods:


Relaxing in our cute house:



And Mary with her hat. She's definitely a hat person, don't you think?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I'm thinking small tin stars like that could look super cute incorporated into a Christmas wreath... Hhhhmmm...

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! The "lesbian pilgrims" is AWESOME on so many levels... :)

The Moser Fam... said...

You are cute and that looked like a blast. How fun that you can look forward to it every year!? I love the vintage puzzles for Cal's room...too cute! Love you!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design