Thursday, March 3, 2011

Random Rhursday.

I never understood why Thursday was represented on the calendar by the letter R. Why? WHY? I think, had they just repeated the T, we would have gotten it. I assume most of us would be able to determine that the T after M is Tuesday and the T after W is Thursday...right? I mean, somehow we're all able to distinguish the S for Saturday from the S for Sunday.

These are the kinds of things that go through my head, friends. Which you know, because you read my blog.

Why do you read my blog?

Is my mom paying you to read my blog?

I can't think of any other reason for any of you to read this drivel, so she must be. And if that's the case, I guess I'd better give you her money's worth. Let's see....

1) I've become quite fond of Jessica Simpson over the past year. While she's not all that successful on the romance front — or the choosing appropriate-length shorts front — the girl makes a darned cute shoe. Or so I thought. Last fall I bought two pairs of her wedges and I loooove them. My favorites are made of soft gray leather and seriously go with everything. I thought after stumbling across these cute and also very neutral shoes online this morning she might be my one true shoe designer match, but then I clicked over to her entire collection and saw these. Since I am neither stripper nor dominatrix, I guess I will have to keep looking for my shoe designing soul mate. (Answer me this: How can those two shoes come from the same person?)

2) I lost 7lbs in February. Turns out not eating mac and cheese from a box every other night (or at all) can lead to smaller jeans. Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?

3) I am going to be 32 next week. I think I will prefer 32 over 31, only because I think even numbers sound younger than odd ones. Abby at thirty one = Frumpy, cardigan-clad librarian. Abby at thirty two! = Young, perky, fashionable mom. Even numbers have a nice lilt to them, don't you think?

4) Ironically, I am cardigan-clad today. I am cardigan-clad often, in fact. I wonder if that will change when I'm thirty two! (?) I tried to pep up the cardigan with my new (wide leg) jeans, and a floral blouse underneath (sleeves rolled up). Also, I belted both the cardigan and blouse. I don't know what it is about belting things that makes them look more put together, but I like it (on the rare occasion I can swing it).

5) Have you watched Perfect Couples yet? NBC, Thursday nights. If not, you should tonight. I watched the first episode and thought it was really weird, then Nate and I watched the second episode and laughed really hard, and now we look forward to it every week. It seems like most shows we like get canceled, perhaps due to our weird sense of humor, so thought I'd try to rally some support for this one before it bites the dust.

6) Also TV-related and generally overlooked by our generation: The Middle. It's on before Modern Family (actually, it's on before Better With You, which is on before Modern Family) and it's hilarious. I wrote it off as falling into the Everybody Loves Raymond category (sorry for pigeonholing you, Patricia Heaton) but my mom told me to watch it and now I'm hooked. It's the sort of cute, wholesome, relatable family comedy that's been lacking since...uh, Everybody Loves Raymond.

7) I will now admit to becoming sort of addicted to Everybody Loves Raymond reruns while on maternity leave. Moving on...

8) I really want this Bobbi Brown eye palette. Adorable case, pretty smokey eye colors, and...oh, the tiny brushes. To be honest, I really just want the tiny brushes (and the case). I actually had them in another eye palette, but then I got the first of many cases of pinkeye from my darling son and had to toss it. Stupidly, I tossed the eyeshadow AND the brushes. Why did I do that? I must have forgotten about the magical tiny brush cleansing powers of soap and water.

9) I have an Anthropologie gift card to spend from Valentine's Day. Any suggestions? I'm thinking these, because I am a huge nerd and even though I love clothes...I love books more.

10) I would prefer to have a nice even ten things on this list, but I've only got nine today. So instead I'll just cleverly label this sentence about not having a number ten as the number ten. And I just blew your mind with my genius...

Happy R, my friends!

12 comments:

Emily said...

I have to laugh because I was totally planning on posting something pretty similar to this today... But I got sucked into reading blogs instead of writing them on my breaks. You must have a great mind, girl, becasue we think alike. :)

Also... LOVE The Middle! We started watching about halfway through the first season. Caught an ep of Perfect Couples and HATED it though.

April Gann said...

Scary was the day that Everybody Loves Raymond turned funny. It meant we were officially grown-ups. Glad you are a well-dressed and entertaining grown-up at least...
P.S. Speaking as the only 32 year old in our group, I think I was much more fashionable last week when I was 31.

Susie said...

I love you. Seriously. When I read your blog, I think, why can't I be more like Abby? I don't own cute shoes. I spent a day thinking about the perfect march wreath and then I found it here (I'm stealing it, hope it's ok, but since you live in minnesota i don't think you'll care), I didn't lose 7 pounds in February and I've been working my butt off... the list goes on.

I turn 32 soon after you, and I'm feeling frumpier, gotta kick the fashion sense back into gear.

Did you love Studio 60 because that was one of my most favorite shows ever that got cancelled....

The Moser Fam... said...

I like this post and your sassiness. Is that how you spell that? Anyway, you are NOT a nerd...you are way, way cooler than me! I know you are nodding your head right now. :) I am wearing shoes from over five years ago right now and I ONLY purchase makeup from WalMart and I don't watch any of those shows (althought I did hear that The Middle is hilarious!). Anyway, I love you and maybe when I'm 32 I'll be as cool as you...maybe (probably not!).

Unknown said...

I read your blog because I need a laugh, a glimpse at happily ever after, or encouragement for a hard day which does not add pounds. Your gift of writing, and relating with humor, the daily struggles and joys for moms of all ages always gives me a reason to smile. All those years pracitising mothering on Ugly Molly have paid off! Love you!

Katie said...

Okay, first of all, I read your blog because of number 10. Hello. You're a genius. :) Secondly, what calendars are you looking at? I have never noticed a calendar represent Thursday as an R. I'm fascinated by this, though, and want to look at every calendar I come across to see if I can find one. Lastly, thank goodness that in 2 months I'll be 34. I like your even number logic. But I'll never give up my sweaters. Never.

Unknown said...

I watch The Middle too girl, love it. I'll have to give Perfect Couples a try...didn't seem that interesting in commercials.

Mary said...

Wow, just fyi, Judy is me, not Judy...apparently someone logged in to their gmail on my computer. Ugh!

April Gann said...

I read your blog for the comments. Because I just found out that Ali buys make-up from Walmart and Katie has never seen Thursday represented by an R (maybe they don't teach that in Texas)? Both made me chuckle today. Love you.

Katie said...

Okay, this is funny. I just got BACK on your blog to read the comments and see if I'm the only person who was questioning the 'R.' Cracked up that April came on to read the comments as well. haha. And really, April? Wouldn't the calendars I buy in Texas be the same ones you would buy in MN? I have 2 calendars in my little study area. One represents Thursday with a TH, and the other has T for Tuesday AND Thursday. hahaha. Why am I so obsessed by this?!?!

Oh, and to Susie, YES! Studio 60 was awesome, and should not have been cancelled. Another good one that only lasted one season: Freaks and Geeks. We netflixed it a few years ago, and loved it.

There.

See? Why blog? I can just come here and comment to my heart's content.

Trish said...

Congrats on the 7 lbs! I'm 32 and still waiting to become perky, maybe 33 will be my year (don't hold your breath!). I don't think that word has ever described me! Oh, and I didn't comment but love all of your wreaths. I agree with the whole "selling them on Etsy" idea although that would require a heck of a time commitment because they'd sell like crazy!!

Abby said...

I love Studio 60! And all of you. :)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design