Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama.

Today is the third day of spring. Or, as I like to call it, the eight millionth day of winter...with rain.

It's no wonder I can't find the motivation to blog these days. I can barely find the motivation to move from the couch to my bed every night. Late winter is ugly in Minnesota. The first few weeks of spring are even uglier. I think the bears are onto something with that whole hibernation business. It would be lovely to fall asleep in my bed January 2 and wake up mid-May. Sure, I'd miss my birthday and anniversary, but I'd also miss rain on top of dirt on top of snow on top of mud. I think we can all agree that's a sacrifice worth making.

Alas, I am not a bear. And also I have a job, which I'm pretty sure they expect me to do year-round. So, no hibernating for me. But we did get to trade the winter doldrums for a few days of spring last month, and it was glorious. Flip flops, bonfires, porch swings, spring jackets, dry ground...heaven. Not to mention biscuits, sweet tea, fried catfish, fried pies, chocolate gravy, and my most adorable grandparents. Super heaven! (That's new, I made it up. Pretty sure it's going to catch on quickly.)

Spring is my favorite time of year in the south. And I thought it was high-time Nate and Calvin were properly introduced to my beloved Alabama. So the three of us, along with my brother Jordan and his long-time girlfriend Heather, met my parents in the Nashville airport and drove down to Athens together.

For four days we did nothing but eat up — fried food, warm weather, and time with each other. And we have the pictures to prove it.

Oh, so many pictures. Hope you're in a comfortable chair.

Having breakfast with Papa.


Sticks. So. Many. Sticks. No need for toys when you have sticks!


Even when you're grown. (Note there are two in Cal's back pocket).


We burned some stuff.


And then my dad art directed this uh, unique family photo.


Uncle Jordan replaced the sink. Calvin "helped" with his own set of tools.


Then he fixed the tractor (lawn mower) with a real screwdriver. And ran around with his shirt tucked into his sweatpants, G-Pop-style.


Climbing, peeking, generally being adorable.


My favorites.





Introducing Great Nana to the joys of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.


After being cooped up all winter, there was a lot of running. Mostly by Calvin.


Sticks.


Fried pie deliciousness. Very healthy.


My sweetie boy.


Cuddling with Great Nana and Baxter.


And...sticks. (Birthday shopping for Calvin just got a lot cheaper.)


Eating Dad's face.


Posed photo, not so much fun. Or flattering of Mom.


Jumping around like fools while taking self-portraits? Much better.



Stick fight with Uncle J.


Sweetness with Papa.


And Great Nana, too.


Sadly, this photo was the best of the bunch.


The kids, looking tired. Or maybe that was just me (I had the stomach flu. Too much fried food?).


Dad and his Bub.


Lots of (loud) exclamations of "Airplane! Airplane! Airplane!" (He was an angel on the plane both ways, by the way.)



Nate's fake serious face, Cal's real one. Airports are serious business, you know.


In case you were wondering, the maximum number of photos you can upload to Blogger in a single post is, apparently, more than 33. And I thought this would be a world record.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Looks like that was a fantastic trip. Loved seeing the photos... And the sticks! Awesome!

By the way... Now I gotta find out how to fry pie. That just sounds sooooo good.

the deKorne family said...

Awesome pics. There is nothing like the south! So glad y'all had a good trip. And food. And family pictures.

Katie said...

What a fun trip! And that food looked divine. :) Nate's serious face made me giggle. And I wish I could introduce you to springtime in Texas. Maybe one day I can do that, and you can introduce me to, er, snow? ;)

Unknown said...

Fried pie - that's my kind of dessert!
Looks like you had a great trip. Love the pictures. David is into sticks too. Maybe it's a boy thing.

April Gann said...

If we get glorious blog posts like this, then it's okay to wait a while. Thanks for sharing your trip! Also, the copy was funny. Glad you didn't just use pictures as I suggested. I laughed out loud a few times.

Mary said...

This made me smile. I love the pictures of Cal with your grandparents. Way too sweet and cute :)

The Moser Fam... said...

cuteness!! love the picture of you, nate and cal where you're making the goofy faces...glad you had fun in alabama! love you!

Trish said...

Love it! Next time you come down here let me know and we'll drive over and see you!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design