Monday, March 28, 2011

Service for 18.

A few months ago, my friend Nikki posted this to her blog.

I fell in love.

I actually own a few of the plates shown on that particular wall — they're hanging in my kitchen. And while I love the graphic, happy look of those plates and the collage created by that blogger, I really wanted to create the plate wall in my dining room, and I wanted the collection to be a little more "me."

If only I knew what "me" meant. My taste is hardly definable. I'm a casual person, but I'm attracted to fancy things. I love vintage patterns. I delight in cheerful colors. I admire bold choices. I choose subtle paint colors. I gravitate toward traditional lines. I like, but am somewhat terrified of, modern decor.

I am a complete mixed bag when it comes to style, and my house (and closet) is proof of that.

Luckily, a plate wall can be whatever you want it to be. So instead of mulling over which direction to take it, I just started collecting. For the past two months I've been hitting up every Goodwill, Arc's Value Village, and Savers within a 15 mile radius of home and work. And anything that looked even remotely interesting to me, I bought — with no real plan in mind.

Slowly, a pattern of color and style began to emerge. I chose colors that would fit with my first floor decor - reds, greens, yellows. Some solids, some patterns. A mix of vintage and traditional, with a few oddball additions for good measure. Toward the end, I added in black patterns, thinking that would help ground the collection a bit.

This weekend I decided I had enough to hang. Of the 22 plates I collected, I used 18. I made a pattern on the floor, traced each plate on paper and cut it out, numbered the cutouts and the corresponding plate, and taped the paper up to the wall. I wanted it to have some flow to it, but sadly the wall space wasn't as wide as the floor space I used to create the initial pattern. So I futzed with the layout on the wall, then futzed with it some more as I began to hang.

And then I futzed with it even more after it was hung. An inch over, an inch up, would a different plate look better here or there? (The answer was always yes. And still is, even looking at it now.)

The (probably not yet) final product: 18 plates on my dining room wall. An imperfect arrangement of dishes in varying styles and colors. A piece of original artwork that took weeks of shopping, three hours of hanging, and less than $80 total (including $50 in plate hangers).

I love it. Even though I know it's still not quite right and I already want to change it. But that's the beauty of the plate wall...it's fluid. I can add, I can move, I can replace. All of which I'm sure I'll do in the near future.

It's a perfectionist's dream project, really.






12 comments:

Matt and Abby said...

Looks great! I love it! It's so nice that it's kind of personal and no one else will have something like that. I love having things in my house that people can't get at Target. Amen?

The Moser Fam... said...

Looks so good! Will you come to my house and help me? The problem for me is that I LOVE something but then don't have the time or patience to bring it to life...so I wait for my mom to arrive and put her to work. Great job!!!

Emily said...

Very cool. Stuff like this makes me wish I had an actual house to decorate.

Nikki said...

Love love LOVE!! Very inspirational. Maybe I should finally get around to doing it with my state plates.

Carrie said...

i love this abby! i have had other friends do something similar and always love it!!

Unknown said...

I love this! Such a good (and inexpensive) idea!

Emily Beal said...

LOVELY!

And I must also agree with the other Emily's comment above. My sentiments exactly.

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

L-O-V-E. I'm now going to follow your lead. Thanks for the inspiration!

Vuong Family said...

I love this!!! If only I had a wall for it... We should go estate saling one of these weekends-- I bet we could find some fabulous stuff...

the deKorne family said...

i could never, never, never do that. you are so amazing. i wish i had your talent and ali's mom and a lot of things that i don't have. because i live in ugly. way to go being awesome!

Samantha said...

Impressed by your style as always Abs. Love it.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous Abby!! I Love it!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design