Monday, June 21, 2010

Farmers' Market Finds.

I'm not the least bit crunchy. In fact, I'd say I'm a bit soggy. I don't usually buy organic, I still run the water while I brush my teeth (I know, I know), and I almost always forget my reusable bags when I go to Target. Last night my friend Ben was talking about the raw milk movement, and my response was: "Huh? What the heck is that?!" And Nate, with a snicker, replied "Is that when you go from nursing your baby to putting them directly on the cow?" (I love my husband. And that's actually not far from the truth.)

So, yeah. We're soggy. But I do care about what we eat, and although my love affair with McDonald's is well-documented on this blog, occasionally I try to drive past the drive-thru. Plus I have a total fruit monster on my hands (my formerly adventurous eater has decided it's going to be all fruit, all the time or NOTHING), so we have upped our produce intake quite a bit. Which is why the Saint Paul Farmers' Market is where we'll be most Saturday mornings this summer.

We've always loved the market, which is downtown and very convenient for us. Personally, I find the quieter (yet still plenty busy) Saint Paul market to be much more enjoyable than the chaotic Minneapolis one — plus, the SPFM requires all the sellers to be local. Everything you purchase has been grown/baked/created within a small radius of the city. I may not be the greenest girl out there, but I do like to support local businesses as much as possible (which is easy to do here in the Twin Cities).

So, Saturday morning we headed over there, and everything was just...awesome. Strawberries, onions, snap peas and rhubarb galore, tons of fresh herbs, and lots of cut and plantable flowers. We picked up some strawberries for the fruit monster, some basil and mint for us, and some snap peas, which we tried to get Calvin to eat — he's still doing this with peas, though. I also got some fresh flowers for my dining room table, and some crazy good turtles from some guy selling chocolate.

Turns out it's easy to eat well when you have bowls of gorgeous, locally-grown produce sitting in your kitchen. Who knows, maybe I'll get a little crunchier and become part of the raw milk movement.

Or, more likely (much, much more likely), just turn off the water while I brush.





8 comments:

Matt and Abby said...

I'm so jealous of your farmer's market! We have a really sucky one around here.
Hannah is totally into fruit too! But they have the rest of their lives to eat veggies (like us, right:))

Minneapolis Farmers Market said...

We love local growers, too. In fact we are operated by the Central Minnesota Vegetable Growers Association. We are 235 growers and 5 resllers. The resellers, with non-local produce, are here because the city and the neighborhood want them here. Fifty percent of Minneapolitans live in neighborhoods with no access to fresh produce, "Food deserts".Without us, they would have no bananas, pineapples, mangoes, etc. We are here to serve them

Abby said...

^^^ Well, there you go! Good info for my friends on the other side of the river. I'm all for whatever Farmers' Market you all choose to visit, they are ALL doing good work and bringing great produce to us! And who doesn't love a good mango??

Katie said...

Hey! Kudos on the comment from the MFM. Plus, I loved your post. Also, I don't know what a rhubarb is. Lastly, your produce looked delicious.

Samantha said...

I love the local Farmer's Market, and Abs did you know that basil and mint are super easy to grow in your yard? We have a hanging box on our fence full of herbs and I have managed not to kill them yet. They are actually growing like weeds! Basil, rosemary, chives, and dill. I love going out there and cutting off what I need.

Abby said...

Yes, we are growing chives, rosemary and oregano in pots this year - used the chives last night! I'm planning to plant a big garden next summer...I've been wanting to do it forever!

Carrie said...

gotta love farmers markets! i was just telling ryan how much more fruit we have on hand now that maggie is with us ... crazy!

the deKorne family said...

Please don't start drinking raw milk. Ewwww. You've got to keep some boundaries. Beautiful pictures though, and I can't believe Katie doesn't know what rhubarb is!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design