Monday, November 29, 2010

Good/Bad.

Turns out I have no idea what I'm doing with this whole parenting thing.

Shocking.

My usually sweet child has turned into a part-time hellion. This weekend he started throwing full-blown toddler tantrums. Of course I have no clue how to handle this kicking/screaming/crying/hitting/headbutting/total desperation thing he's got going on, because like everything else he's thrown my way over the course of the last 18 months, I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet.

Really, it's humbling. As soon as I start to feel an ounce of pride in my parenting skills, he enters a new phase of terrible that knocks me on my rear. What's that old adage about pride and falling...?

On the flip side, he's suddenly saying well over 100 words. And a few phrases, such as "I did it!" "I don't know!" "I cook!" "Bye, Mama (or Dada, Mattie, Nana, truck, etc.)." He's pretty much repeating everything we say and whipping out new and unexpected words left and right. My favorite? He's started telling us when he poops. "Poop, Mama. I did it!" Funny, funny boy.

Seems to me each phase brings both good and bad. Newborns are sweet and cuddly and unable to move, but they keep you up all night. And 18-month-olds are adorable and smart and sleep all night, but they are also opinionated and embarrassing and disobedient.

Such fun.

For kicks, here are Cal's 18-month stats:

Weight: 26lbs, 13oz (63rd percentile)
Height: 33.5 inches (85th percentile)
Head: Big (90th percentile)

Also for kicks, a photo April took while she was visiting. I love his curls in this one. He might look just like his Daddy, but he's got a bit of his Mama in him, too.


I don't love the tantrums, but I sure love the boy who throws them...

6 comments:

April Gann said...

Oh, I love this picture! And I totally bragged about how well-behaved he was to my family. And how smart (the whole put the keys in the ignition, gas in the tank thing in the cozy coupe). Really, I sounded like a grandparent. Or at least Crazy Aunt April.

Katie said...

This is a great picture of him. Love it. What a handsome boy. Oh, and Abby. If you're embarrassed now...oy vey. I sometimes think kids were born JUST to embarrass us. And it only gets more humiliating the older they get. Of course, he won't stop. But you'll get better at the diversions. Like, the first sign of a dwarf family at Target, you and your cart will do a 180 faster than you can say little people, big world. Just to avoid a loud, embarrassing comment. I would not know this from experience, of course.

The Moser Fam... said...

He is a doll. He is a great mix of you and Nate. :) I love how much he is talking. I wish he and Nattie could play together! Toddler conversations are the best! Glad you and Apes had such a good time together at the concert, too! Love!

the deKorne family said...

he is beautiful!!! the real bummer is that once you think you have something figured out with the first kid, another one comes along and ruins that. and i am pretty sure i've made the most mistakes with my third, despite trying twice before. it's a total crap shoot. praying all our children turn out to be good grown ups despite us. :)

Matt and Abby said...

I second what Heidi said. I just keep saying it's not if I damage my child, it's to what extent.
Somehow I'm sucking at parenting the second one.
Good thing he's totally adorable:)

Muff McLaughlin said...

I have raised/reared 3 kids. What I know about this for certain is that all the behaviors that concern you are NORMAL. You will spend the rest of your life thinking every unfortunate behavior or decision your child makes is your fault. Not so. You are a great mom, and he's a great kid. Relax and enjoy him. He'll be grown before you know it.

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design