Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 1: Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Tacos

Courtesy of: My Mom
Serves: 4
Prep and cook time: 2 hours

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used chicken tenders)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes and chilis (Rotel), drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1.5 teaspoons chili powder

Spray crock pot with Pam. Mix beans and tomatoes with chilis in bottom. Combine olive oil, cumin and chili powder in small bowl, rub all over chicken. Place chicken on top of bean mixture, cook on high for an hour and 45 minutes. Slice or shred chicken, and serve with tortillas and your choice of taco fixings.

--
This recipe is the easiest thing on earth. It would be mighty hard to mess it up, and the result is a totally blank canvas. Nate wasn't home last night, so instead of tortillas, I made mine into a salad and served it with tortilla chips. I thought chips might be a more kid-friendly option and I was right. I think this chicken would be excellent on nachos, which is probably how I'll serve it next time.

I would say the spice is fairly mild, so if you like it hotter, increase the amount of cumin and chili powder, or use the hot Rotel. I also think it could have cooked a little less (it was bordering on dry), but my crock pot is crazy hot and cooks at lightning speed, and I was using smaller pieces of chicken. Just something to note.

Also something to note? My lack of skill when it comes to photographing food. This looks a little like cat food. I'll try to do better tomorrow so you'll actually want to try whatever it is I'm showing you.


6 comments:

April Gann said...

Love it! Love your challenge and love that this one is gluten free/dairy free! I'm going to do this one! I've been equally convicted about cooking...

Emily said...

My good pictures don't always look great either. Some things just don't photograph well. And it sounds fantastic.

Brian and Trish Hutcherson said...

Well done, Abby!! So proud.

The Moser Fam... said...

You rock! I feel guilty quite often about my lack of cooking motivation/skill! Maybe I'll cheat and just use your plan...perfect! Don't tell Mike...LOVE YOU!

the deKorne family said...

Way to go!! :)

Karen Mayes said...

Yum! This recipe is going on my meal list for next week. (PS - You're awesome!)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design