Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 3: Potato Leek Soup

Courtesy of: AllRecipes.com
Serves: 6-8
Prep and cook time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

1 cup butter
2 leeks, sliced
1 quart of chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cups yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper until tender, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Stir cornstarch into broth and pour broth into pot. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil, then season with salt and pepper. Add cream, reduce heat and let simmer at least 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper before serving.

--
YUM. I loved this recipe. Not only was it incredibly simple, it was delicious and perfect for a fall evening. And it was fun to cook with leeks (fresh from the farmer's market!) for the first time. I served this with a spinach salad topped with low-fat raspberry vinagrette, walnuts, dried cranberries, and cheese (feta for Nate, monterrey jack for me. If I'd had goat cheese I would have used that), as well as sliced baguette. A few tips:

1. To clean leeks, trim both ends, slice in half lengthwise, place flat side down, and slice into small pieces like you would a celery stalk. Place leek pieces in a bowl of cold water and mix them gently with your hands until the dirt and sand falls to the bottom. Use a slotted spoon to remove.

2. Halve the butter. I saw a few reviewers mention they did that, so I did too. I think one stick is plenty.

3. Serve with a little shredded cheddar and some crushed croutons. The croutons add a nice garlic flavor and some texture.

4. If you want a smoother soup, you can puree it in small batches using a blender or food processor. The chunks were delicious, but we might try it blended next time.

Now go, make, and enjoy. I plan to enjoy this one again around noon.




*In the interest of full disclosure, Nate started this recipe for me because he had to be somewhere at 7pm and I don't get home until 5:45pm — he wouldn't have had time to eat if he waited for me. But I took over as soon as I walked in the door, right around the cornstarch part. And I sliced/cleaned the leeks the night before so I did some prep work. :)

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm really excited to try this recipe. I love potato soup and think leeks sound like an awesome addition. :) Now if only the weather would cool down here so soup would be appropriate...

the deKorne family said...

Yum.

Vuong Family said...

thanks for the inspiration! I am simmering a pot right now... a little second dinner snack and some for the week. yum!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design