Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 6: Make-Ahead Muffin Melts

Courtesy of: The Pioneer Woman
Serves: 6
Prep time: 45 minutes (includes egg boiling & peeling, bacon frying)
Set time: Overnight or all day
Assembly and cook time: 5 minutes

12 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
2 cups grated cheddar
1 cup mayo
12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 dashes worcestershire sauce
6 whole English muffins, split

Boil eggs, crumble bacon. Fold all ingredients together, cover and refrigerate overnight. Top each English muffin half with a mound of egg mixture, then broil 3-5 minutes on middle rack until browned and bubbly.

--
Oh, brinner. One of my favorite meals of all time. Nate's not a fan (HOW? WHY?), so I usually reserve breakfast-for-dinner for the nights he's working. Like last night. And this was a great option! Not only was it super easy (I boiled and peeled the eggs Monday night; Nate fried the bacon and mixed it together for me yesterday morning; I assembled and broiled last night), it was yummy and very kid-friendly. Especially since my kid shares my deep love of eggs and cheese.

There are only two things I would do differently:

1. Use one less dash of worchestershire sauce. It erred on the side of salty and I think that must have been the culprit.

2. Let the egg mixture sit out for a few minutes before broiling. It went straight from cold to hot and the top got nice and browned and bubbly but the bottom of the mixture was still only room temp. Might warm up better if it doesn't go in cold. But even the cold mixture was yummy, so it really didn't matter much.

I served this with cantaloupe, nectarines, grapes, and a big glass of milk. We'll be making this one again. Maybe even for breakfast, if Nate's lucky.

3 comments:

Matt and Abby said...

That looks fantastic! And WHO doesn't love brinner? I'd ask why you still married him, but if that's his one flaw, you are a lucky woman:)
Way to go with all the cooking while you are working. I'm impressed every day!

Jen Knox said...

OMG Abby, that looks and sounds amazing. I may have to push my lazy butt into gear and try this!

Emily said...

I wasn't so sure when I saw the hard-boiled eggs in the mix -- not a fan -- but I may still have to try this. (Though I'll need a substitue for the mayo. Ick!)

And you still married Nate even though he doesn't like brinner? You must REALLY love him. ;)

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design