Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 5: Turkey Burgers

Courtesy of: My friend Andrea
Serves: 4-6
Prep and cook time: 25 minutes

1.25 pounds of lean ground turkey
1 cup salsa, divided
1/2 cup shallot, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Shredded or sliced cheese (monterrey jack or mozzarella)
Buns

Mix ground turkey, 1/2 cup salsa, shallot, cilantro, 3 tablespoon oil, hot sauce, cumin, salt and pepper. Form into 4-6 patties. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add burgers and heat until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Add cheese and let melt. Top with remaining salsa and serve on buns.

--
This recipe is a family favorite. Andrea gave it to me at my wedding shower and I've made it many times since. Quick, easy, and delicious! The only modifications I make are with the hot sauce and shallot. Nate doesn't like onions/oniony things, so I usually add a little less than the recipe requires. And I lower the hot sauce just a tad when Calvin will be eating with us. (Sometimes I split the meat mixture into two and then add more hot sauce to one batch.)

We typically serve these burgers with sweet potato fries, which I buy frozen from Costco (Cheater. Sorry, I probably shouldn't have posted that as part of the menu plan since I didn't make them myself). Last night we had green and red pepper slices, too, since Calvin is a big fan of those and it was just the two of us.

A quick and easy meal that also left me enough time to prep for Wednesday night's dinner. Gotta love that!


1 comment:

Emily said...

Frozen sweet potato fries?! Gasp! Just kidding... It's your challenge you can do whatever you want with it! :)

And I'd love to try this...but am not sure I could convince Tony that turkey burgers are okay. He's also not a fan of stove-top hamburgers. It's lame. I know.

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design